+ Follow This Topic

Thread: does mental health problems affects a good relationship?

does mental health problems affects a good relationship?

mental health problems creates problems in good relationship or not.if a person is suffering from mental health problem.what we have to do in this type of situation...

Yes, it can cause severe problems if one party is behaving in an irrational manner.

Do you have a problem with this? Tell us the story and we can give you input.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

This type of case i have seen in friend life that just i have asked..

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Yes, it can cause severe problems if one party is behaving in an irrational manner.

Do you have a problem with this? Tell us the story and we can give you input.

Yes, mental problems probably cause problems, but relationship can offer much comfort to someone suffering from some sort of issues.

Certain mental illnesses can affect relationships more than others; for example, bi-polar, psychosis and most of the personality disorders can be very damaging to the relationship. An ex of mine had what his psychiatrist said was bi-polar with psychotic symptoms; this manifested mostly the same as schizophrenia but with some weird and unpredictable mood swings thrown in. His personality changed, he was damaging my own emotional well-being and in the end, it became near impossible to sustain any sort of relationship with him. I staid and helped him through the best I could (we had a long history) but we broke up after that. The amount of bad-blood between us (from what he had done while he was in his manic and psychotic phases) was way too much to rebuild.

Of course, other illnesses (anxiety or depression), whilst a struggle, are generally not nearly as tormenting and confusing.

Yes, it can. While some are stronger and can cope with it, others can have it destroy their relationship.

I'm not sure if it was a prank or not, but John would act severely depressed at times and tell me he was going to kill himself or was trying to kill himself... I say this because other times he seemed perfectly normal, and it was a rumor from his friends that he was only doing it to torment me. Whether it was real or not, it put strain on me. I tried contacting Dr. Phil (Bad idea I know but when you're in a position that has no money like I was at that time, you won't believe what you'll try) and another psychologist. In the end, John is still alive, and all that ever happened in our relationship is that I got hurt.