+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does social networking sites damage our relationships?

Most people have equated the word "issues" with infidelity when "issues" in a relationship go far beyond cheating. Becoming addicted to being on any site (including this one) is an issue within a relationship if one's partner is being neglected, is feeling left out, is being ignored due to their partners participation online or he/she is being deprioritized over interaction on the site.

So yes, I think that facebook and other sites can indeed cause issues in relationships. I also think gaming can cause issues in one's relationship as well. It's like how any "addiction" can come between two people when it causes an emotional dis-connect.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

They can. The biggest danger is when you reconnect with an old flame. It can be intoxicating to get back in touch with each other after being apart for a long time. People who are in relationships really should either keep their distance from the other person or make sure their new partner is getting included in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I think they have great potential for creating issues, or maybe it's not that they *create* issues, but rather give certain types of people another medium in which to behave badly with greater chance of getting caught.
    Very thoughtful- never thought of it like that. I think it sort of breeds insecurity, though, going off of that. It seems like the less people are able to see, the more trusting that they are of their partner. I don't mean that in a case of keeping things from them- just that if they can go on a single page and see ALL your conversations (Like Facebook wall posts) with friends, it can make them a little more insecure about what they're seeing and what they're not seeing. I'm not sure if that makes as much sense here as it did in my head, but yeah. :S

this is the main problem

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    I once posted on FB that my gf's arse was too fat. She hasn't spoken to me for weeks.

I heard on the radio that Facebook is the number 1 cause for divorce in the US right now. I believe it. I've seen several marriages fail because what started as an innocent conversation eventually led to an affair. "Keep communication with the opposite sex to a minimum, and never find yourself alone in the company of that opposite sex for very long if you value your marriage" a quote from an elderly woman giving advice to her grandchildren. Personally I hate Facebook. The woman that broke my heart added all of her exes and blocked me. So I deleted my account.

Calling FB a cause for divorce is like calling a car the cause for a collision.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Calling FB a cause for divorce is like calling a car the cause for a collision.
    Fcking cars !
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

If you spend more time on a networking website than with your loved one, that's a problem. You naturally will spend the most time with the person you love the most - be it yourself, your loved one, or someone else.

you cant blame social networking. i think thats bull. these people would have had an affair anyway with or without it.

an affair is a delusion and an escape from reality coz these people prefer to distract themselves in an unhealthy way rather than fix whatever problems they are having and social networking sites are just another way for them yo communicate with their new interest.

FB didnt cause affairs or divorce. people did

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12