+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Job application help!

Job application help!

Going on Monday morning and I've got a slew of concerns and anxiety to ask for and turn in an application:

1) I know that it opens at 8 a.m. It's a car shop, the position is battery service tech. and they train 100%. Should I show up as it opens or since it's a shop and probably takes a while to open, wait until an odd time like 8:15 or would it even be wiser to drop by later?

2) Should I ask for an application, take it home and return it in the afternoon? or fill it out in my car and hand it back once I finish?
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you have a resume, take it with you, fill out the application there, and leave it with your resume.

I am guessing that the manager won't have time to talk to you when the shop first opens.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

And if I don't have a resumé? And what WOULD be a good time to do this, then?
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

Assuming that applying for jobs doesn't very that much from one western country to another....

If you don't have a resume, MAKE one pronto. And pre-prepare a letter telling them who you are, why you want the job and why they should hire you. Yes, it's possible that they may give you a form to fill out instead, but one can never be over-prepared for a job interview.

Once your resume and covering letter is done, save it and just tweak it for each different job you apply for.

Google for some advice on making resumes and covering letters.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I think you should go early on, so you will be first guy who pops in. Its like a first date so make sure you look your best cause first impression is very important.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Assuming that applying for jobs doesn't very that much from one western country to another....

If you don't have a resume, MAKE one pronto. And pre-prepare a letter telling them who you are, why you want the job and why they should hire you. Yes, it's possible that they may give you a form to fill out instead, but one can never be over-prepared for a job interview.

Once your resume and covering letter is done, save it and just tweak it for each different job you apply for.

Google for some advice on making resumes and covering letters.
    Yeah but that sounds like overkill. This isn't a professional job; it's just a regular job (bad as that sounds to say but I am just trying to stress that this isn't something requiring a resume most likely and not as much as you're suggesting).

What if you turn up for the interview and they say "great, leave your resume and we'll get back to you"?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Biggest thing I can recommend to you is to make a one page resume. Most employers don't want to page through something more than two pages, so the best is to make it something they can glance at and see you have some brains and that you're willing to work. It's important.

Also, dress the part. Throw on some nice pants (no jeans) and a button down shirt (no stained clothes). Even if it's not a glamorous position you're applying for, it helps to let them know you're taking it seriously. I heard of a few cases where people showed up in common ripped jeans and t-shirts and had their applications thrown away the moment they walked out the door. When I applied for my job, I wore a button down, tie, and slacks along with dress shoes. And during the interview I wore something similar.

As for your original discussion questions (Sorry- not trying to preach but wanted to give you some extra tips in case you weren't aware of them), I would wait an hour or so and then go in to ask for the application. Every place is different, and like Vashti said, some places have the applications with the manager. Other places, you can get them from the clerks. It really depends on how they run things.

For taking it home versus filling it out there, I'm not really certain but I always took mine home to fill out since I never heard of that affecting anything. Good luck with applying for the job, YC!

How did you find out about this job opening? If it was an advertisement in a paper or online, then apply the way you were told in the ad. Usually, you will mail or fax your letter of application and resume to the location provided. It there was simply a phone number, then call the number and ask. If it was a sign in the window, then walk in during a non-busy time and inquire. Most unskilled jobs will not require a resume, but it doesn't hurt to have one if you have experience that may be helpful. Remember the purpose of applying is to get an interview. The purpose of the interview is to show you are able and willing to do the job. Sometimes you will be hired on the spot, but most likely your material will be put in a stack with the others for later. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you want a job, apply at many places.

Hm...and so do I fill it out there or in my car? Also, I only have one nice suit...

Quote Originally Posted by dem862 View Post
    How did you find out about this job opening? If it was an advertisement in a paper or online, then apply the way you were told in the ad. Usually, you will mail or fax your letter of application and resume to the location provided. It there was simply a phone number, then call the number and ask. If it was a sign in the window, then walk in during a non-busy time and inquire. Most unskilled jobs will not require a resume, but it doesn't hurt to have one if you have experience that may be helpful. Remember the purpose of applying is to get an interview. The purpose of the interview is to show you are able and willing to do the job. Sometimes you will be hired on the spot, but most likely your material will be put in a stack with the others for later. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you want a job, apply at many places.
    A friend told me about it and asked a friend of his who works there. They just fired a ton of guys for failing drug tests so they really need some employees; the guy who works there is working long hours because of the firings.

Worse, I still don't know what time to go in. And I ask to see the owner to turn the application in?

I would fill it out there for expediency. There is probably a customer waiting room. Otherwise you could do it in your car or at home. I am not sure a suit is necessary to apply for this job. This is in a car shop. The job sounds like some kind of manual labor. A suit might give the impression you are over qualified or you think you are too good for this kind of work. I would think a nice clean collared shirt and pair of pants would suffice. Even a pair of work boots if you have them. If you are working with batteries, steel toed boots might be a job requirement. Sometimes uniforms are provided or required.

Cool. That helps a ton.