+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it possible to get over someone while remaining friends?

Is it possible to get over someone while remaining friends?

My first love and I broke up, and she said she wanted to remain friends. Cliche, I know. Never works, I know. I guess im almost keeping it as a door for us to possibly be together in the future, but at the same time I know not to hold onto that hope.

Would it be possible for me to get over her while remaining friends and talking? Or would I need her out of my life for a bit in order to move on completely?

PS, Because another post about our relationship (or, lack of?) in the past has caused arguments and confusion for some reason, we are both female. :p

I don't think you can get over someone you still have feelings for if you stay friends with them. Perhaps you can keep in touch via the sporadic email just to check up how the other person is doing (like, once every 2 months or something, just to make sure everything's OK) for the first period, but nothing more. If she wants to come back, she will come back regardless of your remaining friends right now. Same goes for if she doesn't want to come back.

I agree with the above response. My first love tried the same thing, breaking up with me and then suggesting we should still be friends, and I tried it for a few weeks. It took those weeks of awkward interaction, little acknowledgment on his part, and my inner frustration and sadness to completely give up and then cut him out of my life. I don't necessarily suggest you do this in a negative way, but you definitely need space from the other person to get over a breakup. This will give both you and your ex time to grow and mature and decide if it is in your best interests to rekindle the relationship in the future.

'Lets be friends' is just so much crap. I don't stay friends with ex girlfriends. I already have friends. It's just going to prolong the agony. Let it go.

confusednow Guest
    ya seriously-being friends is a stupid way of clinging on and hoping one day we might get back together. its idiotic. being friends with an ex or someone you want but cant have is just plain dump. kick them outa your life and move on

Never .....your attitude will change in time if its over from pain to anger

Don't dwell on the memories you lost, but to smile on the ones you create.
    Break ups aren't always meant for make ups. Sometimes relationships end in order for you to wake up.

For me..it's not possible! After a break up I NEED no contact whatsoever. They need to be gone from my life in order for me to move on - sad, but true. I don't think you can remain friends, maybe months or years down the line but it's too raw to be friends right away.

This is an old thread guys. Check the dates new members and dont respond to ones created over a week ago. Thanks