+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to tell my parents my girlfriend is older than me - 20 years older?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJake View Post
    I need help. So a little back ground, I've been into older women for as long as I can remember, I even remember finding the lady running the preschool I went to pretty, through Elementary school some teachers I had I found extremely attractive as well as through middle, high school and some college as well. I've dated a few older women, it's been great, fallen in love, fallen out of love... I've tried girls my age too, by the way I'm 22. I've tried girls my age but the ones I've met are just so vapid, self absorbed and I just don't find them attractive.
    Judging from this, I guess childhood experiences can decide one's preference. Your first attractions were with your teachers. I guess this can happen to other people if they had attractive teachers, which are very rare. (I'm not saying that all teachers are bad. I had some teachers who were psychotic).

Go ahead and tell your parents. If they disapprove, show them by having a happy life with her. They'll approve once they find out how she makes you happy.
    Last edited by SingleBilingual; 07-06-13 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    You know what would really be better. Is if you and the Op were a couple.
    Lol.

And Star, you are entitled to your opinions. I will respect that. But setting yourself on a high horse "clearly more advanced than you" is not really providing anything for the OP here. I'm simply trying to give him honest advice, as I can relate to him perhaps a bit more than yourself? Be as conceited as you like but this thread is not about you the last I checked.

It's always about me.
    Last edited by Starnique; 07-06-13 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starnique View Post
    It's always about me.
    ... *grinz* ...
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

It's always about me.
    Lol ok then

mmmhmm
    Last edited by Starnique; 07-06-13 at 11:32 AM.

* And then comes the gossip. *

OP, I think most parents would find the age gap concerning so you have to understand where they're coming from. For a start, they're of a generation where women were almost always younger than the men they partnered with. Secondly, we're not talking a few years but two decades; they'll worry that she has too much baggage, that she will be too old by the time you will want kids and so forth. She'll be nearing 50 when you'll be nearing 30 - that alone is enough to make a parent gasp because it's hard for them to imagine a union between their young son and some old lady.

BUT - it's your life. If you've through this through, then no one can really force you to not be in a relationship with her. Eventually, you'll have to tell them and there's no two ways of saying 'she's actually 42, not 25'. Your parents will come around because they love you...they may never be comfortable with her age but they'll come to accept it, even if it's only because they have no other choice. Good luck.

Hello Another Jake,

Well, It's not really good to have a relationship with older persons..but sometimes love can be so strange and age doesn't really determines maturity..If you know you're ready for this, then go ahead!

Thank.

mmmhmm
    *Visualizes the "Z" Snap*
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    Get your parents to watch the movie Harold and Maude with you. Then break the news.
    OMG... dude... I thought I was the only one that'd watched that movie! LOL

How about Stiffler's Mom in American Pie ... or ... Dustin Hoffman in the Graduate.

You are disgusting. your mom sorry I mean your girlfriend is even more disgusting.

Lol this is becoming entertaining

Just my opinion and I may be completely wrong, but don't count on this relationship being long term. The good news is you can probably learn a lot from her between the sheets so I say keep things light or take them slow and live for the moment but don't get too heavily invested in this relationship. of course, I could be wrong, opinions often are.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast