+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Know any good vitamins?

Know any good vitamins?

I have a vitamin D deficiency. I was prescribed vitamins by my doctor about a year ago, but they're $1 a pill and it's getting to be too expensive. I've tried the cheap vitamins at the store, but they don't really improve my levels very much.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You should have your parathyroid function checked out, along with your calcium levels. If your vitamin D levels are low, your calcium levels are most likely high, leaving you prone to bone loss and kidney stones, and one of your parathyroid glands are probably responsible.

(Please note, I am NOT talking about the thyroid, but rather the PARAthyroid)
    Last edited by vashti; 15-06-13 at 01:54 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Yeah I had to Google that one lol. I think I might try a new doctor and I'll suggest it. I had to practically beg this doctor to do tests and the only reason he wound up doing any is because my fingernail beds started turning a pale/white color.

Get out in the sun and off your computer more.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by AbigailR View Post
    Yeah I had to Google that one lol. I think I might try a new doctor and I'll suggest it. I had to practically beg this doctor to do tests and the only reason he wound up doing any is because my fingernail beds started turning a pale/white color.
    I am not sure that pale nailbeds are related to vitamin D deficiency, but it could be a sign of something else.

I would find a different doctor.

An endocrine doctor is the one that will diagnose problems with your parathyroid gland, but a GP can get a blood test for calcium, parathyroid hormone, and vitamin D, and can refer you out if there is a problem.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Milk and eggs have vitamin D, but sun is necessary too. If you take a lot of food with that vitamin it won't stay in your body unless you have some sun (with protection, obviously).

I dont know if I can fix it by just changing my diet and getting out in the sun. My vitamin D level was 12 when I was diagnosed. I try to get in the sun more, but where I live its either really hot or really cold. Most of the time being outside for a while makes you miserable. I have an appointment this week so hopefully I can get things figured out.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's very low, and probably there is more at play than dietary deficiency.

You might want to ask about a bone scan to see if you've had some abnormal bone loss.

Krill Oil helps out quite a bit with blood circulation.

I agree with getting some sun on your skin. It's what makes your body start producing Vitamin D naturally. Like 10 minutes a day is all it takes, and that's not going to give you skin cancer. It's actually kind of hard to get a lot of Vitamin D by diet (according to Dr. Oz, anyway, lol). It helps, but the best way is by having a few minutes of sun exposure every day, or as often as you can.

I buy Vitamin D3 tablets at Walmart, 100 tablets of 2000 iu's for about $6 a bottle.

You don't have to spend a lot money on expensive Vit D, just over the counter Vit D will be good enough. make sure you get sun exposure daily, if you don't like to get tanned, stand opposite to the sunlight, let your back absorb the sunlight will also help.

Maybe you can try to eat more foods that contain vitamin D. Don't always take vitamin D.
    Yishun bike——Pro carbon bike producer