+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Overcome by intense negativity

Overcome by intense negativity

(I am 16) Okay having taken some advice from you guys, I went to Singapore for an international conference looking to make friends and generally be more popular than I usually am (Think staring at my phone hoping someone would talk to me). I followed the advice and was having a blast, people all talking to me, girls following me and continually staring across the room at me. Something clicked. But then it went downhill. For some reason I felt superficial and fickle and didn't want to talk any more. I felt like people didn't really find me interesting, that it was all just an inside joke to them. And I retreated into my shell for the last two days, with people constantly asking what was wrong and why I wasn't talking.

I can't explain it, and some people may say it is simple nervousness, but I am more confused that I managed to go 4 days pulling off the perfect approach, and then it all crashed and burned within hours. It is really getting to me because I potentially had met a lot of very good friends and girls that had offered to call later on, but then crushed these hopes by going into defensive-mode.

I would appreciate any ideas of how to deal with this or why this might be.

(P.S Extra question: I want to transition from being the "make everyone laugh, center of attention" guy, to someone who doesn't have to go to all that effort. Some people seem to say very little but make more friends in the long run. I actually think this might be relevant to the problem I had because I was trying too hard that it just was too much. I also lost friends with too much sarcasm, but I feel like I cannot say anything of value in a conversation without it being sarcastic, I just do not know what to say to people that they would find interesting that is positive/not sarcastic)

Thanks
    Last edited by OKANEED; 21-06-13 at 12:00 AM.

Do u have depression? Your kind of a shy isolated person... Then you came out of your shell,
    Then it sounds like u full force went down into depression and social anxiety again. Maybe it was subconsciously overwhelming you to get all this attention and "feeling fake" was an excuse to withdrawn again due to the depression. Just a thought, I know it's serious allegations that you
    Have depression or anxiety, but so many people do these days

You are 16, you will not become a Casanova overnight. Just be yourself.

Hang in there man. Getting and holding true confidence is no easy task and will come with age/practice.