+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Amazing Morning

I'm both obnoxious, sarcastic and cynical online and offline. However, I'm led to believe I'm nicer online than I am offline...
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

i'm pretty much the same i think. but i am aware that there is a big difference between the people i know here online and the people in my real life. i think i'm too old to try to pretend i'm somebody that i'm not. i don't have the energy for it anymore.

I think I'm pretty much the same online or offline. A recurring event causes me to wonder, though. Onliners often act surprised when they deduce how old I am, or I tell them. I get PMs to effect of, "Wow. I thought you were a LOT younger than THAT!" Either I'm NOT projecting my true nature online, or THEY'VE got some strange ideas about age.

...or you project immaturity...

(heehee)

Yeah. There's always that. (And leave to you -- shh! -- the mention it!) ;-)

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    Now that IS an interesting remark. It makes me wonder in what ways the people on this forum are different than what we might expect or have been led to assume. Hmm... well I suppose I may be somewhat more direct online than I am in person, although I am pretty straightforward in person, too. What about the rest of you?

I eat more sh!t in "reallife" than online in my interaction w/others. I tend to freeze into cold, professional mode if I'm not sure what my social response is supposed to be. Tho that is changing. My medium (written word) has always been stronger for me than realtime (RT) conversation. I have a real problem telling when someone is joking w/me RT... anyone else got this problem...?

I figure OV would be next to imposisble to figure out on that point, Indi. I believe he could be jerking your chain down the block and never crack even a glimmer of a grin to let you know he was doing it.

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj
    I figure OV would be next to imposisble to figure out on that point, Indi. I believe he could be jerking your chain down the block and never crack even a glimmer of a grin to let you know he was doing it.
    Uhhh... so OK. There are SOME ppl I can figure this out for...

Sarcasm plays a big role.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Quote Originally Posted by indigosoul
    I eat more sh!t in "reallife" than online in my interaction w/others. I tend to freeze into cold, professional mode if I'm not sure what my social response is supposed to be. Tho that is changing. My medium (written word) has always been stronger for me than realtime (RT) conversation. I have a real problem telling when someone is joking w/me RT... anyone else got this problem...?
    Actually, I am very good at reading people's body language which helps to clarify people's meaning when they are kidding with you. You have to be careful about that kidding, though, as it is sometimes masking hostility. Perhaps that is what you are experiencing.

Actually, I am very good at reading people's body language which helps to clarify people's meaning when they are kidding with you. You have to be careful about that kidding, though, as it is sometimes masking hostility. Perhaps that is what you are experiencing.
    I'm usually good at that too, shh!...Sometimes i'm thrown off though.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

I attribute it to having an alcoholic father. He was a mean drunk, and we needed to know how to read subtle body language pretty accurately as a self-preservation technique. All of my siblings are pretty expert at it, too.

I attribute it to having an alcoholic father. He was a mean drunk, and we needed to know how to read subtle body language pretty accurately as a self-preservation technique. All of my siblings are pretty expert at it, too.
    shh!, that's interesting..Perhaps that's where i get it from as well..My father was more drunk then sober...up until 2 years ago, that's when he actually quit...I'm still amazed that he was able to do it.

Start paying attention to your friends whose parents were big drinkers, espevially mean ones, and you will see that they are usually very good judges of character and are good at reading body language. That is something I have noticed repeatedly.

i'm pretty good with subtleties too. my mother was passive aggressive like mad. hmm, interesting correlation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast