+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rejected by my best friend. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by tomanychances View Post
    Are you sure he isnt gay?
    Yes, I'm positive. He is definitely attracted to girls, but like I just said there isn't a lot of girls that are "girlfriend material" in my town. As to why he treated me the way he did yet claims to have never had feelings for me, well I can't explain that one, but I don't think that means he's gay.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    What were the reasons for which he didn't want any girl as a girlfriend?
    We grew up in a town of less than a thousand people. A lot of the people our age turned to drugs/alcohol/sleeping around as their main means of entertainment. Although him and I and our little group of friends partied every once in a while, it was never really our scene and most of the people in our town are not "relationship material". He didn't want to date a girl that prioritized those things over family/friends/school etc. Basically, there just wasn't a lot of choices. Plus, when you grow up in a small town EVERYBODY knows EVERYTHING about you and your relationships so they really aren't as great. People really get in your business and it's just a hassle; because of that nobody in my high school really "officially dated" for the most part.

I understand. Have you talked to him since you first posted here?

I sent him a text on Saturday saying that I was really sorry for springing that all on him during all of this and that I'm still here for him if he needs someone to talk to. He didn't reply. So, I'm just going to leave it at that and if/when he wants to talk I'll be willing. I think it's best for both of us to get some distance right now, even though it stinks!

well you tried. Maybe text him in a week and ask him how is he feeling and you hope he is okay. And just say to him again Im really sorry if I made things awkward between us-I thought you felt the same but I understand now that you dont and that is okay. I will still be here for you as a friend if you need me"

I think space is needed by the looks of things. From what you've said I feel that at the moment he needs his friend and you need to put your feelings on hold for now. I know giving someone space is hard but just give him some time and let him know that you are there for him as a friend. I wouldn't take what he said to heart about him not having feelings for you, he is in a very hard place in his life just now and his head is probably spinning.
    I would wait a couple months or until you two are at a better place in your friendship before bringing this up again. I would say just ignore these feelings for now but its not as easy as that so I would just wait until a better time then sit down and have a chat with him about them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12