+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Research study says online dating doesn't lead to happier / healthier relationships

Research study says online dating doesn't lead to happier / healthier relationships

Saw this research article on a news site this afternoon and thought some of you guys would find it interesting.

"Online Dating Websites Fail To Produce Healthier Or Happier Relationships, Suggests New Research Study" -- http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1323756

A recently-published research paper suggests that although internet dating websites offer single men and women easy access to a vast pool of potential partners, they typically do not increase the quality or longevity of romantic relationships.
    The results are a bit surprising to me, especially because I have several friends who recently got married after meeting online. Hope this doesn't apply to them

Full article: http://www.lovelearnings.com/research/online-dating-a-better-way-to-find-love.html

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It makes sense to me; after all, dating sites are just another venue for meeting people. Why would the odds be any better through THAT venue than another?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    It makes sense to me; after all, dating sites are just another venue for meeting people. Why would the odds be any better through THAT venue than another?
    Lots of those online dating websites, like eHarmony and POF, claim to use "matchmaking" surveys when you sign up.... thus, they claim, introducing you to people who you're most compatible with. That's what they claim, anyway, but I tend to agree with you :-) (and with the above mentioned research)

The compatibility has actually worked for me. Of course, that's purely anecdotal but this research is extremely bunk and highly subjective. It's COMPLETELY slanted so honestly, I would not ever equate a "study" with something as important as love. I prefer when an author of an article regarding dating and love uses psychology and sociology in addition to economics to propose a model of attempting to get dates and find love rather than misuse science and math for this purpose.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"