+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Partner with kids?

Partner with kids?

Anyone dating partners with kids,

what is your experince, good or bad,
    ?

Dave
    if I should reach into your future, dont move away...

dude this is a bad idea. >.> but love always finds a way.
    Boys dont cry...

I think it's not that bad. I have a friend who is dating with girl with two kids. They're happy and kids really like him.
    [URL=http://www.steadyhealth.com]Health Forums[/URL]

I used to date a man with kids. Then I married him. It seems that men often have an easier time of it that women do, although men often are often very hard on male children. In general, it is a very bad idea and should be considered an absolute last resort. There is so much you can't forsee when you are dating, and there is a reason why 2nd marriages have an even higher divorce rate than first time marriages.

Now that I have kids and am older and wiser, I wouldn't even consider dating seriously while my kids are still at home (if my husband were out of the picture, that is). I wouldn't even introduce my dates to the kids.

There's an earlier thread that asks a similar question. I hate looking it up, but it's there.
    "Ogres are like onions."

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    It seems that men often have an easier time of it that women do, although men often are often very hard on male children. In general, it is a very bad idea and should be considered an absolute last resort. There is so much you can't forsee when you are dating, and there is a reason why 2nd marriages have an even higher divorce rate than first time marriages.

Now that I have kids and am older and wiser, I wouldn't even consider dating seriously while my kids are still at home (if my husband were out of the picture, that is). I wouldn't even introduce my dates to the kids.
    This is a bizzare answer. Its obviously nowhere NEAR this black and white. I myself have a son from a previous relationship and it hasn't introduced even the slightest speed bump in any relationship thereafter. So while that may be YOUR experience, mine and everybody elses I know in a similar position has experienced the exact opposite.

it 100% depends on the participants, the situation, and the context by wich there is a single parent to begin with. It ultimatly comes down to the hearts on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDrum
    it 100% depends on the participants, the situation, and the context by wich there is a single parent to begin with. It ultimatly comes down to the hearts on the table.
    Ai, ai to that.
    "Ogres are like onions."

Quote Originally Posted by MrDrum
    This is a bizzare answer. Its obviously nowhere NEAR this black and white. I myself have a son from a previous relationship and it hasn't introduced even the slightest speed bump in any relationship thereafter. So while that may be YOUR experience, mine and everybody elses I know in a similar position has experienced the exact opposite.

While I absolutely agree with your last sentence, divorce statistics don't lie, and I am speaking of marital relationships, not dating ones, because the goal of most broken families is to reform another family. And my opinion is not based solely on my own experience, but also on marital relationships that I have witnessed.

But I am glad you aren't having any problems yet.

im still trying to figure out why you are even talking about marriage and divorce. Who said anything about marriage and divorce? My child isn't from a divorce, rather a mistake made early in my life with a girlfriend. So while he changes the dynamice of every relationship iv had since, it doesn't affect how me or my relationship partner feel about eachother in the slighest, and doesn't affect the "dating" aspect of our relationship. I think that is the norm.

You are going on about first and second marriages and stuff

Again I say, I am referring to MARITAL relationships - not dating relationships, and the reason I am referring to marital relationships is because often, if not usually, that is the goal of non-married parents, especially moms. Roles change after one marries someone with a child, and the transition is often not a smooth path.