+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girls - Do you use winky faces when texting?

Girls - Do you use winky faces when texting?

There's a girl that I'm attracted to. When we first met, I think she liked me but I was too shy to make a move and over time I felt like she may have lost interest in me. Our communication shortened as our lives got busy again with work and school. She lives in NY and I live in NJ, so we're an hour and half away. We meet up atleast once month to go clubbing or to drink still. Why I think she liked me was during my first time meeting her in NY, I had booked a hotel room and she agreed to stay with me that night and we shared a bed while her girlfriends took the other bed. I never followed up about that the next day. (punching myself). She also held my hand on some occasions and one night when I was bery drunk, she let me rubbed her leg. However, she doesn't text me anymore like she use to, but when I do text her she always reply and we still always meet up atleast once a month.

So recently I asked her to hang out as I am determined to go for it this time and be more aggressive in asking her out or try to kiss her atleast and if she turns me down then atleast I can get a peace of mind and move on. I can't stand trying to be just friends anymore. My problem is, I can't seem to overcome my shyness to ask her directly but I feel like through my actions I should have shown her enough that I am interested. Anyway, so when I texted her to meet up next weekend, she said she is busy but said she is planning to do something the following weekend for her birthday. She said she will let me know when she decides what she's going to do and then ended the text with a winky face. She never uses a winky face before. I always get lots of smilies, the long faces, the open mouths or she would extend her wooooords or CAPITALIZE certain words.

Should I take that wink as a clear flirt sign that she wants me to ask her out on her birthday? Or maybe I'm thinking too much into it and the winky face in this context is just her being witty and doesn't mean anything. Ladies? Do you use winkies in texting? If so, when or why would you use it? Thaaank you so much.

I use winks with people I'm not interested in. I use them to indicate that I just made a joke.

From what you write, it sounds like she was interested in you, but is quickly losing interest (possibly due to your lack of action). You'd better act quickly if you want to see if there's a chance. But only act if this 1.5 hr distance can be easily overcome.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I agree with Basil above.

I think you missed your window from inaction, and she threw you into the friendzone. And no - a wink doesn't mean she's flirting, and doesn't mean she's giving you a green light.

It's got to suck ass being a shy guy (with no game at that), so I'm not going to crack on you for that.

HOWEVER, you have a golden opportunity in front of you. It is her birthday, so rather than just wait for her to ping you with some kind of group plan, now is the time to step up and ask her out. Call her (text her - lol), and say, "Betty Lou, I know it's your birthday, so I'd really like to take you out in the city to celebrate. Just you and I. What night is best for you?"

If she says yes, then you busy yourself planning a totally romantic date. And if she declines and does not proffer another option, then she's not romantically interested.

just ask her out for fecks sake. its either gonna be a yes or a no. what you waiting for?
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

I never have, I would prefer to use a kiss, batting eyelashes, a hug, big grin, or smile. Whenever I get a wink in any chat thing, IM or text I wonder what they know that I don't know, lol. I never take it as flirty, but that is just me.
    “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”