+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post some food or snack ideas...

Stella draught cannot be beaten, but I'm not a beer drinker really. Prefer a nice JD and coke.

Cut up apples with cheese cubes is always good, especially when you eat them together. Or, you could go with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with honey nut cheerios in it.
    Then again, you can always cut a strawberry in half and put peanut butter between it. A sandwiched strawberry is good like that. Pieces of bacon with melted cheese on it is also good too. :S ...I eat a lot.

Thanks all for the snack ideas, yumyumyums! Gonna try em all. Within the week.

On the topic of beer, there isn't one Canadian or American beer I can stand to drink, like Joey mentioned Stella is the only beer I have tried that I can down it all without it going warm and pouring it out and no disgusting after taste to me, I also like corona like rafterman mentioned.
    There was some IPA I tried at some party that tasted alright, think it was a BC one, red racer or some such name.
    “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”

Another snack idea.

Cream peas and poached eggs on toast. ( makes me think of my mom <3 ) It might look gross but tastes so good and really easy to make.

All you need is some good bread to toast, 2% milk about a cup, couple tablespoons of butter or margarine, spices, I use: pepper, parsley, oregano, basil, some red pepper flakes or paprika, can use what ever seasoning you like though and a can of peas or a cup of frozen peas.

Melt butter in frying pan, take pan off heat stir in flour to thicken- return to heat and add milk and spices, heat to thicken and bubbly and add peas and stir... poach your eggs add on top of toasted bread and then pour cream peas over it.

here is the closest pic of it I could find for you:

LMAO... it's what we used to call SOS in the Army (shit on a shingle) with peas substituted for ground beef. Good stuff.

I love it though, mom used to make it for my sister and I for lunches and is great when you have a food budget but want a health-ish meal.
    lol, at shit on a shingle. I never heard of that before, ground beef would be too heavy for me... Mom used to throw some can salmon into it with hard boiled eggs and put over mashed potatoes for dinner as well.
    I think the poached eggs make it a nicer snack/meal.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    LMAO... it's what we used to call SOS in the Army (shit on a shingle) with peas substituted for ground beef. Good stuff.
    LOL... I've tried U.S Army food and its shite.. They have us this grits shit and its wrong. I spent time at Camp Pendelton, cool equipment though

@SBF... I've had similar but with asparagus, and poached egg with Holandaise sauce.... The Bomb
    Last edited by rafterman; 07-07-13 at 12:41 AM.

You're actually presuming to claim that Aussie "grits" are better? Or are you saying that grits are wrong in and of themselves?

And yeah, Army food sucks... but what does Camp Pendleton have to do with the Army?

I'm going to pass on the pea mush thingy but I do love poached eggs! Agree with Rafter, poached eggs, asparagus and hollandaise is awesome, and Egg's Benedict is breakfast heaven

Avocado and bacon salad with chopped peppers and cucumber, dressed with balsamic vinegar. Solid, high energy meal for an active lifestyle.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

More peas for me I love em! I never liked asparagus and it is more costly to buy than peas, but if I liked asparagus( that pee thing about it too, lol) I would def make that up and try it because all the other components are great . I don't like a few veggies, turnips and brussel sprouts are the other two.

I like microwaved baked apples too.
    w/ raisins
    b sugar
    cinnamon and butter
    microwave 5 mins or under... ( cover when cooking but vent to steam ) Toss some whipped topping on it after...
    None of the pics online do it justice, lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post
    Avocado and bacon salad with chopped peppers and cucumber, dressed with balsamic vinegar. Solid, high energy meal for an active lifestyle.
    I missed your post while posting, Cerby.

Omg that sounds great. I love avocados and bacon

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    You're actually presuming to claim that Aussie "grits" are better? Or are you saying that grits are wrong in and of themselves?

And yeah, Army food sucks... but what does Camp Pendleton have to do with the Army?
    LOL... No we dont even eat grits, its not what we eat.... Yeah your right its a marine corp base.... presumed they got similar rations.... The MRE's were rough too , but the heat in pocket pouch was handy, however I did launch the beef and black bean burrito into orbit... thats a big negative...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    I'm going to pass on the pea mush thingy but I do love poached eggs! Agree with Rafter, poached eggs, asparagus and hollandaise is awesome, and Egg's Benedict is breakfast heaven
    Yeah asparagus does make you pee bright coloured SBF, but thats the vitamin B.... Its doin you good. You can always throw a bit of spinach on there instead, Popeye was'nt kidding, high in Iron... enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
    LOL... No we dont even eat grits, its not what we eat.... Yeah your right its a marine corp base.... presumed they got similar rations.... The MRE's were rough too , but the heat in pocket pouch was handy, however I did launch the beef and black bean burrito into orbit... thats a big negative...lol.
    MRE's are universal(ly horrid). Mess halls vary from service to service. The Marines eat dog food, unless they're on a Navy ship... Naval personnel eat particularly well, as they're isolated aboard ship for months at a time. The Air Force eats well because they've got the budget for it... the Army... not so good. Better'n the Marine Corps, not so good as the Navy or Air Farce.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast