+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Online Dating - what keeps you interested?

Online Dating - what keeps you interested?

Hey guys,

I am looking to get an idea of what everyone out there thinks about online dating sites. What keeps you interested and whats makes you decide to remove your profile?

What is a big no no for you and what aspects of these sites annoy you?

For me personally, i can't stand it when my inbox is in-un-dated from peoples simply looking a quick 'encounter'!

On the flip side, it is really annoying when you send loads of good messages out and receive no responses what-so-ever. It really does make you think that you could be a Johnny Depp look-a-like and still have an empty inbox!

Would love to be able to filter this type of **** out and would love to know what everyone else's experiences have been?

Thank you in advance for your responses

Hi, personally, I just go to my okcupid account to see who has visited my profile. I have never had amy luck with online dating. I am typically female in that it takes a lot of time for me to develop feelings for someone but by the second date the guy already wants to kiss. It's gross. I wish more men understood that women usually don't develop instantaneous physical attraction to men because our brains work differently.

Uh-uh, I got a question!
    Personally, I've never received messages from from anyone, unless I was first to send a message and got a reply. Which I think is a bloody let down. I sometimes get certain girls visit my profile every now and then, which to me seems like "Hey, if she visited my profile three times now, I doubt it's coincidence". So why don't girls send first messages, ever?

Also, I sometimes visit my OKCupid profile to check if there's anyone out there that might peak my interest, I don't meet a lot of people every day, so I figure why not keep the profile, though I'm not entirely sure what to think of online dating anymore. I've met up with girls to get to know them and realize they're not what I want and turn them or to get turned down myself. I guess online dating is something to keep you occupied if you're not seeing anyone at the time, but otherwise it seems like a waste of time.

Well, any guy who does drugs gets no response. And I can't stand guys who message me repeatedly if I don't respond.

Online dating has only worked for me twice, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by silvaLin View Post
    Hey guys,

I am looking to get an idea of what everyone out there thinks about online dating sites. What keeps you interested and whats makes you decide to remove your profile?

What is a big no no for you and what aspects of these sites annoy you?

For me personally, i can't stand it when my inbox is in-un-dated from peoples simply looking a quick 'encounter'!

On the flip side, it is really annoying when you send loads of good messages out and receive no responses what-so-ever. It really does make you think that you could be a Johnny Depp look-a-like and still have an empty inbox!

Would love to be able to filter this type of **** out and would love to know what everyone else's experiences have been?

Thank you in advance for your responses
    Nothing, never used it never would, I prefer the face to face see what people are actually like upfront dealie. So online dating websites wouldn't be right for me. I would assume most were lying to me.
    What annoys, would be liars.
    Probably aggressive people too, and possible stalkers.
    The idea of having to keep checking it would also annoy me.
    “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”

when it comes to online dating, i like a profile that is filled and has a picture. and that they respond to me when i send them a message. I get annoyed when they dont reply.

If I was single again I wouldn't use it. I actually have np going out and meeting people.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    If I was single again I wouldn't use it. I actually have np going out and meeting people.
    Some people use these sites because they don't know anyone in a new city/no network. Work might not have provided many opportunities so online dating is one way to expand their networks.

Online dating is also a way to seek those out who are already single and looking. It also provides an easy platform to start something. In face-to-face social settings, some people might shy away from asking straight out if someone is single, looking, and if they are interested.
    Last edited by fearoflove; 08-07-13 at 10:48 PM.

I've used online dating sites before, and I would again. Online dating sites are great to get out and meet people, especially those that are interested in the same type of relationship you are looking for. You also have a much larger pool of people, with all different kinds of interests, and they are all over the place.

Just because you use a dating site doesn't mean you require one, or can't get out and meet people, that's an antiquated view. If I'm interested in dating, I'll pursue different avenues as you meet different types of people. I could ask out a girl at a bar or a girl that I strike up a conversation with at a market --- or I could be online and see a girl who happens to love hiking, and works as a vets assistant which piques my interest. In both situations it doesn't mean the relationship is going to do any better, but I already have an idea from the online profile that we'll have some things in common.

As for big "No-nos" I don't like hearing too much about the reason why women are there... if you talk about "just getting out of a relationship" thats understandable that you're easing back into the dating pool, but don't announce it. You aren't getting any extra points for trying a dating site, and it just makes you look vulnerable for the guys who think you'll be easy because you're rebounding.

Don't show lots of pictures of your animals, show yourself. Show full body shots and don't leave it up to the body type selector to determine how "fit" or "curvy" you are. Be honest about the way you look.

I remove my profiles when I've found someone either online or offline that I've been on a few dates with and want to spend more time with. I've also removed my profile when I've set up a number of dates already and don't want to be contacted while I pursue those.

Also @Archie, women do contact you when they are interested. Its all about writing a good profile and having clear pictures.

Two men from the South of France met their soul mate in the Eastern countries. From their real story they decided to create a website of international matching for men and women of the Eastern countries. The members can join freely and choose the language in which they wish to chat on live. It is not a marriage bureau but a means to meet, to make friends or why not to find love. All the members are selected and verified to avoid certain clichés which made a bad reputation to online dating websites during a very long time... These two men wanted people to see things differently, and thanks to their experience they can speak about it and testify about their story to help members who need tips for any relationship with Ukrainian women.
    Give a try to PrivetVIP to meet Eastern European and russian Women and get help from these two men who created this online dating website so different to the others.

Don't bother to advertise here, this site is moderated.