+ Follow This Topic

Thread: His family is hard to crack!!

His family is hard to crack!!

I've been with my boyfriend for a year now and I still haven't cracked his family - except his auntie whom my boyfriend's parent's hate anyway - but I like her shes nicer than them. Anyways, I keep getting ups and downs with them - they all like different things to me and I don't know what to talk to them about when I see them, I stay quiet alot and some of them have said that I seem too quiet - which gets on my nerves. They are so totally different to my family and I find them weird, I love my boyfriend and I want to be part of the family. They all like me but find me too quiet and they don't like it. I'm just getting really frustrated with it. When I sit down in the front room with his parents they don't say 'hello', I say it instead and they never say it back and are never saying, "oh how are you?". I get really pissed off and I go quiet because I have never proper spoken to them and don't know what to talk about. They talk about the strangest things to me and I just don't know what to say!! his mum will sit there and say, "Oh I got my room decorated" or "I went to see my mum today". My family are really bubbly and will say hi to everyone, my parents love Ant and will joke around with him, and he comes out with us alot. My family will always say, "how was your day at work?" or "did you have a good weekend?". My family will have good conversations with him, and they will start it.

WHAT AM I GETTING WRONG????

You need to learn the art of small talk. Try faking interest at seeing her newly decorated room, or ask how the visit went with granny - the stuff of normal conversation. I actually don't see anything wrong with those topics, by the way, and if you do, then I don't know that the problem is theirs. Just remember - you are trying to get in to THEIR family, so the burden is YOURS to make nice. You must have something in common - just keep working until you figure it out. And if you love this guy, you won't complain to him about it, because he probably loves his family. Don't make things hard for him.