+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: don't text her. call her

don't text her. call her

after being in the dating game, i feel texting is so pointless and its better to call. i would rather have a 1 hour phone call then sitting there and texting and trying to have a conversation. sure texting is nice when you are wanting to say "miss you" ir "we still on for lunch?"

but to have a conversation? come on. give them a call. it means more

thats just my opinion.

Some people can say more of what they mean to say via texted words than they can face to face. Some people actually feel a deeper connection with people via text because they don't feel embarrassed or shy when it's words on a screen.

Not saying I don't agree with you, because I do. But I have benefited from texting, for instance my boyfriend and I weren't "allowed" to speak when we first met and were only able to get to know each other by texting. Face to face we had to pretend to barely know each other, but every night we delved into each others heads and became closer than we'd ever felt possible toward anyone.

Things can be more personal on the phone. It's more real, it gets your heart beating. But things can go past your comfort zone-in a good way- over texts.

Garenteed you will stand out as the guy who always calls instead of text
    Last edited by surfhb2; 18-07-13 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surfhb2 View Post
    Garenteed you will stand out as the guy who always calls instead if text
    Did you mean that as a good thing or a bad thing? (It could go either way.)

A good thing of course

Texting conversation are lame

Quote Originally Posted by neilpie View Post
    after being in the dating game, i feel texting is so pointless and its better to call. i would rather have a 1 hour phone call then sitting there and texting and trying to have a conversation. sure texting is nice when you are wanting to say "miss you" ir "we still on for lunch?"

but to have a conversation? come on. give them a call. it means more

thats just my opinion.
    I have a three text rule. After the 3rd text, I call.

Quote Originally Posted by surfhb2 View Post
    A good thing of course

Texting conversation are lame
    I agree, was just making sure. One thing I hate about the emphasis on texting is that kids these days all date too easily because they don't have to call and can just text. Speaking over the phone holds the same kind of nervousness as face-to-face, but they don't worry about shyness via text. Sure this helps out the people that have serious anxiety issues but it makes it all too easy to become comfortable with someone without really knowing them "in-person".

Although for some that have grown accustomed to this way of life, calling is "weird" or "annoying". I've known several people that will only text and refuse to answer phone calls, and when called will text back "hey, you called?" I have some relatively young friends though, I'm 23.

Quote Originally Posted by xrobotlove View Post
    Some people can say more of what they mean to say via texted words than they can face to face. Some people actually feel a deeper connection with people via text because they don't feel embarrassed or shy when it's words on a screen. [...] things can go past your comfort zone-in a good way- over texts.
    for some that have grown accustomed to this way of life, calling is "weird" or "annoying". I've known several people that will only text and refuse to answer phone calls, and when called will text back "hey, you called?"
    I can totally relate. I know it's tough for most older people to understand, but for us, texting is perfectly normal and there's nothing wrong with it. I also don't think it inhibits or damages in-person communication. I have no problem talking with people face to face - it's just phone calls that irritate me. I can express myself much more in-depth and clearly via text rather than talking on the phone, and I can also say things that I would probably be too embarrassed to say when talking.

For my boyfriend, myself and most of our friends our age, phone calls are reserved for emergencies or for when you need to communicate something quickly and want to make sure the other person gets the message before it's too late (for example "the meet-up is in front of the cinema instead of the restaurant, see you in 10" or something).

When two people can't see each other for prolonged amounts of time, video-chats are preferable to phone calls.
    Last edited by searock; 18-07-13 at 04:07 AM.

girls love when guys call

I agree.. Me and my bf mostly text when were seperated because we live together so usually we can just wait til we get home to talk

lalalita Guest
    I don't like being on the phone. I get my message across much clearer via text, as I am much more eloquent with the written word. I make it clear that I do not like being on the phone, and please do not call me unless it is an emergency. My generation (I'm 25) is one of the texting generations and I've never had problems with men being opposed to texting rather than calling. An hour long phone call is dreadful. An hour long text conversation is great, because I can go about my business and get back to the conversation at my leisure,

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I can totally relate. I know it's tough for most older people to understand, but for us, texting is perfectly normal and there's nothing wrong with it. I also don't think it inhibits or damages in-person communication. I have no problem talking with people face to face - it's just phone calls that irritate me. I can express myself much more in-depth and clearly via text rather than talking on the phone, and I can also say things that I would probably be too embarrassed to say when talking.

For my boyfriend, myself and most of our friends our age, phone calls are reserved for emergencies or for when you need to communicate something quickly and want to make sure the other person gets the message before it's too late (for example "the meet-up is in front of the cinema instead of the restaurant, see you in 10" or something).
    You're kidding yourself. Tone of voice can convey a lot of information even in a short conversation. Emoticons in a text message lack that kind of depth. And I call b-s on your emergency scenario. Use a clock and time yourself in speaking the sentence, "the meet-up is in front of the cinema instead of the restaurant, see you in 10." Then time yourself for how long it takes to text that same message. And keep in mind that auto-correct is sometimes going to fail you.

Texting isn't completely useless. It is great for a short message in a situation where at least one of you is dealing with a lot of background noise. And you can text several people at once with the same message. But the loss of tone of voice, the heavy use of abbreviations, and the limited range of emoticons can sometimes lead to misunderstandings and problems.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by lalalita View Post
    I don't like being on the phone. I get my message across much clearer via text, as I am much more eloquent with the written word. I make it clear that I do not like being on the phone, and please do not call me unless it is an emergency. My generation (I'm 25) is one of the texting generations and I've never had problems with men being opposed to texting rather than calling. An hour long phone call is dreadful. An hour long text conversation is great, because I can go about my business and get back to the conversation at my leisure,
    Your generation has lame social skills. Bunch of cowardly textroverts, hiding behind screens instead of talking directly to each other. smh.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    You're kidding yourself.
    Excuse me, are you saying you know what works for me better than myself :-)? I have tried both calling and texting, and for me, texting is way better. I don't feel comfortable talking on the phone (neither does my boyfriend btw), so the tone of my voice is inexpressive or wrong-expressive, on the phone. I express myself much better via text.

And I call b-s on your emergency scenario. Use a clock and time yourself in speaking the sentence, "the meet-up is in front of the cinema instead of the restaurant, see you in 10." Then time yourself for how long it takes to text that same message. And keep in mind that auto-correct is sometimes going to fail you.
    I said that in emergency scenarios, it's best to call rather than text. Emergency situations are usually the only times my friends and I talk on the phone.
    Last edited by searock; 19-07-13 at 07:06 AM.

How do you kids talk to your parents, or do you all still live at home? I look forward to having long telephone converstions with my daughter and appreciate being able to hear her voice and laughter.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast