+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What have you learned from your grandparents?

What have you learned from your grandparents?

My nan gave me some love advice a few days ago, and I keep replaying it but essentially she thinks worrying about lost love takes away from the good or happy life you could be living now and is a shame to waste days crying over what might have been when you can learn and make yourself a stronger more confident happier you for another to love. Take from loss, and grow from it, no matter what kind of loss.

She always has said bother with people who pick you up, not tear you down, that goes for friends and partners.

What about all of you, what wisdom or wise words did you get from your grandparents?
    “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”

My grandma used to say, "Sweep off your own doorstep before you try sweeping off someone else's." And, "If their talking about me, their giving someone else a rest."....."Aging is not for sissies."

And my grandpa,
    "Everything you need to know about life you can learn from a cat."

The most memorable thing my mother taught me:

"Always say Please and Thank you - it oils the wheels" (of social interaction).

We seem to have lost the art of these wise sayings.
    Last edited by UndercoverLover; 18-07-13 at 11:57 AM.

wow your nana is a wise woman. you should listen to her.

My nana has thought me so much. I have so much respect and love for her. She is an amazing strong woman and I feel I get my strength and "pick yourself up" attitude from her. She thought me to never allow any man to hurt me. She didn't say that in those words but that is one thing I have learned from her marriage and to only make time for people who make me happy, not drag me down or hurt me. She also drilled it into my head not to get pregnant at a young age and not to trap myself with the wrong man. I think that made me very cautious. I didn't lose my v till I was 18 and I know I defo don't want kids until I am ready.

She gave me a birthday card when I was 17 saying "I get married at your age, silly girl, dont make the same mistakes as me".

My granddad was an amazing man. Very strong, independent, gentle and loving. He always put his family first. His wife, kids and grandkids were his life and he lived for us. He thought me the value of family and he also thought me what a real man is. I miss him everyday (gawd bawling now just writing this ha-he only passed away recently) but thank you granddad for always making me feel special and loved and for giving me high self-esteem and good taste in men
    Last edited by michelle23; 18-07-13 at 06:57 PM.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverLover View Post
    My grandma used to say, "Sweep off your own doorstep before you try sweeping off someone else's."
    I really like that saying. It holds so much truth. My family had a very hard time when my mum was young. My nana was ill with bipolar disorder, my granddad walked out while she was in hospital and left 5 kids aged between 8 and 16 to fend for themselves. He ran off with another woman.

My mum and her two sisters all got pregnant quite young. There was a neighbor there (who still lives there) and she loved to gossip, very nasty lady who looked down her nose on my family. Slagged off my ill nana and called the kids whores etc.

Fast forward about 10 years and all her kids went off the rails, one ended up a heroine addict who gave birth to a very ill baby who was born addicted to heroine, the other has a psychiatric illness which causes an extreme anger problem. None of our family bad mouthed hers but it just shows what goes around, comes around.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

My grandma always told me that happiness is a choice. That always stuck with me.

I kind of learned from one set of my grandparents in reverse... I learned what NOT to do from them.
    However, the other set taught me, without giving any advice at all, that I should always be considerate of others. And nowhere is too far to travel to help someone you care about.

My gramps used to tell me things like "Kissing girls will make your teeth fall out." Seems kinda facetious ostensible given the really practical, sage advice shared here in the thread but it is wise in its own way.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

My grandfather corrected my speech and grammar
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    wow your nana is a wise woman. you should listen to her.

My nana has thought me so much. I have so much respect and love for her. She is an amazing strong woman and I feel I get my strength and "pick yourself up" attitude from her. She thought me to never allow any man to hurt me. She didn't say that in those words but that is one thing I have learned from her marriage and to only make time for people who make me happy, not drag me down or hurt me. She also drilled it into my head not to get pregnant at a young age and not to trap myself with the wrong man. I think that made me very cautious. I didn't lose my v till I was 18 and I know I defo don't want kids until I am ready.

She gave me a birthday card when I was 17 saying "I get married at your age, silly girl, dont make the same mistakes as me".

My granddad was an amazing man. Very strong, independent, gentle and loving. He always put his family first. His wife, kids and grandkids were his life and he lived for us. He thought me the value of family and he also thought me what a real man is. I miss him everyday (gawd bawling now just writing this ha-he only passed away recently) but thank you granddad for always making me feel special and loved and for giving me high self-esteem and good taste in men
    My nan is one of the best sounding boards for me especially since mom passed, we both have a shared loss and she knows how I feel on everything same as my mom knew. She always goes watch the hummingbirds and smile. Just enjoy what nature gives us to heal us, like a sunny day, a dip in the ocean etc. Your nan sounds great too.
    Your nan wanted a good life for you, and you to have opportunities and not fall into lifes traps, that is good for her to teach you that when young. She even put it in your 17th bday card, aw making sure you kept hearing her message. What you said about your granddad was touching, is okay to cry you cry because you love and miss him and he meant the world to you. *hugs*

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have 3 of my grandparents still alive, one set lives far away though( I see several times a year), but I have my nan right here for lots of support and wisdom.
    MY other grandfather my dad's dad used to say all these weird saying like if something was stupid to him he'd say " that is as uselsss as tits on a bull" lol or if someone was scared to say or do something " shit or get off the pot" lol I used to always laugh when he said stuff like that because he was serious but always said with a smirk. He was straightforward.

From my gran- be open to experiencing life to its fullest.
    From my gramps- Do the right thing. No matter who ****ing hates you for it.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

This is so hilarious needed to share it.
    My sister took douche #3 over to my grandmother's for lunch and he went over sans shirt [he never has one on when I see him out ] -- lmao and she told him that is wasn't polite to go for lunch in someones home without a shirt on and to go home and put on one or or not come back ROFL.

Life lesson for this douche, I doubt it but funny as hell.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

love your family and spend time with them because they won't always be around, will they. also speak up for yourself and have pride in where you come from.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

True dat, Exeter. I wanted to say my love of working on cars and bikes came from watching my dad's dad he owned a garage for a long time and would go over there a lot and hang out as a kid. He's dead now.