+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the point of having intelligence if you're not pretty?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInflux View Post
    Thats not being smart.. in the animal world, thats considered survival instincts... not even remotely close to intelligence.. Animals with half a brain are able to take care of themselves and their offspring without both parents.

Intelligence has a lot more to do with general attractiveness.... being smart enough to to get a good job, effect the world positively around you, interact with people in a positive way.

Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean that they have common sense.. which most people on this site lack... and it doesn't mean they have survival instinct, which many people here also lack - especially those women who get beaten and find their way back to that guy.
    True. Btw, you can clearly tell the people on this forum who is intelligent, book smart, I'll give them that but you can also see that they have no common sense whatsoever. A lot of times you can't tell people like that anything because they think they know it all but really know nothing in the real world.

Being smart is sexy. Knowing what you're talking about is appealing. You just need to have confidence.

pretty or not is independent... different people view and rate it differently... girl who not willing to learn is worst... compare to those not intelligence...
    for me, as previous post mentioned, intelligence women will attract more people... pretty is temporary how ever the intelligence will last long... so, you wish to have a temporary relationship or last long relationship?? you can make your own decision...
    Ultimate Relationship Builder by 12learnmore.com

it is as it is. get with it.

Okay, I actually talked about this topic with my friend once. And one way that you can look at it is that society looks up to these people who are practically made of plastic. However, the other side of the coin is...what are they talking about when they come up in conversation? Most are talking about how Snooki (sp?) is off doing something stupid to piss off the Italians or how Brad and Angelina are off again/on again/screwing polar bears/whatever the hell they do, Brittney Spears is just an insult to the human race, and Justin Bieber is a plague from another planet.... Most of the time, celebrities, while discussed as being "hot" or "sexy" are talked about as idiots who do stupid, reckless things just to make the next cover of the tabloids. And the other half of the time that they're not being discussed for that, they're being talked about with how people just want them for some physical fun- nothing more. Now, doesn't that seem a little silly? Wouldn't you want to be known as the girl who you can relate to and can have an intelligent conversation with? Or would you rather be the girl that every guy wants to hook up with and then leave behind, only talking about you as either a physical fantasy, a bedroom accomplishment, or about what foolish choices you'd make? I know I wouldn't, if I were you. Yes, a lot of society is following the media and making people compete with unrealistic views about what our bodies should look like, but that doesn't mean we're all doing it.

All I'm trying to say is that you're not the only one out there, and every time a guy shoots you down and turns away, just remember that he wasn't the right guy for you anyway. Not because you're not good enough but because he's not good enough to see that getting to know you is worth it. A guy like that is shallow and basing an entire relationship off of sex, and he's going to wind up miserable and with someone he can't even talk to once he grows old. But you're the girl that's going to wind up with a man who you can talk to about absolutely anything and grow old with who will still find you just as beautiful when you're in a nursing home. He's out there, OP. Just remind yourself that the ones who are being shallow by walking away are doing you a favor. You're going to find Mr. Right.

Hope this helps some.

Look OP, society is as it is. Get with it, and learn to handle it.

lol.. Why the hell should society change on your account?

I believe there's someone for everyone.
    I'm sometimes amazed at the people who end up married......

I don't think being smart will hold you back.
    Learn how to use your big brain to increase your social standing with men.

Quote Originally Posted by academicgirl View Post
    That's the general message I get from today's society:

"It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, there's no point to it if you're not pretty".
    And? it is as it is.
    It seems at the end of the day, no matter how "perfect" you are in other areas, if you're not pretty or you do not live up the expectations of the other sex; then it will seem people will just criticise you.

It's sad that society has come to a point where sexiness is more important than intelligence or whatever you want to call it. You know what I mean.

It's sad that society has more respect for people like Cheryl Cole, Angelina Jolie, Kim Kardashian or whatever than scientists, engineers and the like.
    Looks are part of life. get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by academicgirl View Post
    That's the general message I get from today's society:

"It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, there's no point to it if you're not pretty".

It seems at the end of the day, no matter how "perfect" you are in other areas, if you're not pretty or you do not live up the expectations of the other sex; then it will seem people will just criticise you.

It's sad that society has come to a point where sexiness is more important than intelligence or whatever you want to call it. You know what I mean.

It's sad that society has more respect for people like Cheryl Cole, Angelina Jolie, Kim Kardashian or whatever than scientists, engineers and the like.
    With guys all they really need is confidence and something to show career wise and worth. With women yes it's looks with some kind of mental substance. It has nothing to do with "today's sexist society" this is bred into us genetically. Guys are very visual creatures....and women know this and have learned to work with it.....it's no wonder the cosmetics and fashion industry is worth billions. Women don't have to be model pretty to get a man tho so stop being bitter about the attention pretty girls get....you cannot change that, it's just the way life is and will always be.

Confidence doesn't mean shit if a guy isn't cool.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

I don't see 'society' having more respect for those you list (I don't know who Cheryl Cole is, Kardashians are only good to laugh at and Jolie - well she's just an actor). Given that you only know the intellectual preferences of those around you, your comments make me wonder what type of idiots you hang out with. Me? I don't know anyone who respects beauty.

Perhaps you should learn to take a wider view of the world before using broad statements such as 'society'
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCosmo View Post
    Oh, quiet, pip-squeak. You actually got sex from a girl, so your argument is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCosmo View Post
    or if a guy still cares about being such, or other pop-culture derived bullshit.

Agree with most you are wrong intelligence is an attractive quality.

physical beauty will get me to talk to you, but if you have nothing smart to add to a conversation, then i'll slowly start to lose interest, and wonder how anyone will find you Interesting.

Not being physically attractive can actually be a blessing in disguise! You might not get many men after you but the ones you get will be quality because he wouldn't be shallow.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast