+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the point of having intelligence if you're not pretty?

What's the point of having intelligence if you're not pretty?

That's the general message I get from today's society:

"It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, there's no point to it if you're not pretty".

It seems at the end of the day, no matter how "perfect" you are in other areas, if you're not pretty or you do not live up the expectations of the other sex; then it will seem people will just criticise you.

It's sad that society has come to a point where sexiness is more important than intelligence or whatever you want to call it. You know what I mean.

It's sad that society has more respect for people like Cheryl Cole, Angelina Jolie, Kim Kardashian or whatever than scientists, engineers and the like.

Thats not true... intelligence has a lot to do with attractiveness, and that continues to expand as relationships progress. Attractive people may seem like they get all of the... guys.. coming from a female perspective, but that truly is only skin deep. Without a good personality, some common sense, and intelligence, there is no substance to a single one of those relationships.

People don't respect those women... they're objects. Nobody truly cares about them.

Physical beauty can take many shapes, and actual physical changes are a lot easier to make then being smart, funny, kind, et cetera.

I have never found intelligence to be of much use in social situations, unless I am speaking to someone of equal intelligence who can understand it. Most of the time I have to speak to the average intellectual level just to be understood. Where I have found intellience useful is figuring out how to get what I want out of life. But really, common sense is much more valuable, and probably equally as rare.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by academicgirl View Post

"It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, there's no point to it if you're not pretty".

It seems at the end of the day, no matter how "perfect" you are in other areas, if you're not pretty or you do not live up the expectations of the other sex; then it will seem people will just criticise you.

It's sad that society has come to a point where sexiness is more important than intelligence or whatever you want to call it. You know what I mean.

It's sad that society has more respect for people like Cheryl Cole, Angelina Jolie, Kim Kardashian or whatever than scientists, engineers and the like.
    You are hanging with the wrong people. Smart is sexy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/50-sexy-scientists-2013-2?op=1
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I would consider myself intelligent and sexy.

Lol nobody likes a bimbo.. All the looks in the world are nothing without some common sense.

You dont need to be a scientist to be intelligent-it takes many forms.
    However most dont like someone who is all work and no play or someone who is too logical and practical with no emotional intelligence..

As with all things, balance is key.

Btw i wouldnt consider cheryl cole dumb. Just coz shes good looking doesnt mean she doesnt have a brain
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Uh, the point of being intelligent as a woman, irrespective of physical looks, is to enable the woman to not be dependent on a man for a living.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Actually, Cos, an intelligent woman is more likely to raise her offspring to adulthood.

I don't disagree about modern women being independent of men for living, but from a pure biological POV, this is the reason.

Men = aggressive providers so that women can be nurturers. Why do you think women are so much better than men at considering the worse case scenario of events? It's b/c we need to be able to predict what might happen to our offspring in conditions of x, y, z
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I agree with cosmo. Not depending on a man doesnt mean not having a man. It means being able to live without that man and look after your offspring if he leaves, dies or f**ks up so bad you want to leave him..

Being smart means not trapping yourself so you have choices and can survive

independents helps prevent co-dependency

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    I agree with cosmo. Not depending on a man doesnt mean not having a man. It means being able to live without that man and look after your offspring if he leaves, dies or f**ks up so bad you want to leave him..

Being smart means not trapping yourself so you have choices and can survive

independents helps prevent co-dependency
    Thats not being smart.. in the animal world, thats considered survival instincts... not even remotely close to intelligence.. Animals with half a brain are able to take care of themselves and their offspring without both parents.

Intelligence has a lot more to do with general attractiveness.... being smart enough to to get a good job, effect the world positively around you, interact with people in a positive way.

Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean that they have common sense.. which most people on this site lack... and it doesn't mean they have survival instinct, which many people here also lack - especially those women who get beaten and find their way back to that guy.

I wasnt talking about intelligence-just responded to what yc and indi said

Okeydokey.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    Well, you are a cat.

I am a human. Shrug.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    You are hanging with the wrong people. Smart is sexy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/50-sexy-scientists-2013-2?op=1
    She's right, smart is dead-sexy. I've gone out with women who weren't particularly attractive just because they were interesting to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by academicgirl View Post

Ironically, you are worried about finding a great guy with a small penis. So, I'd say you're just as shallow as all the rest who judge someone by physical assets alone.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Ignore Society, it's mostly bullshit.

Get on and you will be happy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast