+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Approaching a woman at the gym/fitness studio

Approaching a woman at the gym/fitness studio

I go to a yoga class regularly and recently this woman started going. She looks a similar age to me, and she is cute.

I generally have confident body language, I use eye contact, smile, etc. but I'm not a talkative person in truth. Not because I'm shy, but it's just how I am, it's a block in my head. Generally in social settings I like company, but just sit and do my own thing. I'm kind of a reserved extrovert lol... The thing is I KNOW I can make a good initial approach such as "how do you find the class?" or "seems you're very dedicated lol.." but into deeper conservation, I'm not sure.

Just be friendly. After class, go near her or walk with her and say ' hey what's your name ?'. She will just think that you are being nice and friendly and talk to you about work, school, etc

Next time, you can talk about other stuff,hobbies, movies.. or invite her to a concert or a hang out with friends.

Are you hesitant about deeper conversation because you're shallow? or because you find yourself too vulnerable? or any other reason? I think it's always best to be honest. "Hi, I'm _______, I've noticed you taking this class but have felt to shy to say, 'hello.'" Or something more authentic in your own words. You sound like an introvert. Maybe she is too. Be brave. What do you have to lose? NOTHING!!!! Good Luck. Ann
    Ann

Give her a pat on the bum when she's in the downward facing dog position.

Quote Originally Posted by maryann432 View Post
    Just be friendly. After class, go near her or walk with her and say ' hey what's your name ?'. She will just think that you are being nice and friendly and talk to you about work, school, etc

Next time, you can talk about other stuff,hobbies, movies.. or invite her to a concert or a hang out with friends.
    ?

Um, no.

OP - don't ever walk up to a woman and immediately ask her name. It's creepy. If someone I never spoke to came up to me and asked me my name cold, I wouldn't think they were being friendly, and start volunteering info about my work, school, etc. No way.

I know a lot of people from my gym, and this isn't how it's done there, nor anywhere. You make eye contact a few times, then you chat casually about workouts or something, and then you work into getting her name, etc.

Your best bet is to catch her on the way out, and comment on someone else in the class (in a positive way - like how deep they can go into a pose), or the instructor, etc. Just keep the convo casual and BRIEF. There will be another day to talk. Maybe next time you save her space next to you, and so on. You work up to it with people you see regularly.

I'll be honest - most women assume guys in yoga are gay, so work around that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann S View Post
    Are you hesitant about deeper conversation because you're shallow? or because you find yourself too vulnerable? or any other reason? I think it's always best to be honest. "Hi, I'm _______, I've noticed you taking this class but have felt to shy to say, 'hello.'" Or something more authentic in your own words. You sound like an introvert. Maybe she is too. Be brave. What do you have to lose? NOTHING!!!! Good Luck. Ann
    no. I generally can't think of things to say, yet I have no issues in initially approaching women.

Quote Originally Posted by namemyname View Post
    ?

Um, no.

OP - don't ever walk up to a woman and immediately ask her name. It's creepy. If someone I never spoke to came up to me and asked me my name cold, I wouldn't think they were being friendly, and start volunteering info about my work, school, etc. No way.

I know a lot of people from my gym, and this isn't how it's done there, nor anywhere. You make eye contact a few times, then you chat casually about workouts or something, and then you work into getting her name, etc.

Your best bet is to catch her on the way out, and comment on someone else in the class (in a positive way - like how deep they can go into a pose), or the instructor, etc. Just keep the convo casual and BRIEF. There will be another day to talk. Maybe next time you save her space next to you, and so on. You work up to it with people you see regularly.

I'll be honest - most women assume guys in yoga are gay, so work around that as well.
    lol.. so i'm gay? is bikram gay? lol.. Are male yoga teachers married to women gay, or just in the closet? lol..

if you protest about the insult, hmm... you insulted somebody else, and me also (not the gay thing, i don't give a shit). I'll expect the "I'm human!" rant now, I know your agenda. lol...

So start by reading the newspaper. Are you up on current events? Go out and do things. My gosh, you live in a beautiful country (been there many times) and there is so much to do. Write me back and introduce a topic and I will help you have a discussion about it. Things that are difficult can be over come if you practice getting past whatever is a challenge for you. Ann
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Ann S View Post
    So start by reading the newspaper. Are you up on current events? Go out and do things. My gosh, you live in a beautiful country (been there many times) and there is so much to do. Write me back and introduce a topic and I will help you have a discussion about it. Things that are difficult can be over come if you practice getting past whatever is a challenge for you. Ann
    Why should I "write" you? Who are you? lol...

Quote Originally Posted by namismybabe View Post
    lol.. so i'm gay? is bikram gay? lol.. Are male yoga teachers married to women gay, or just in the closet? lol..

if you protest about the insult, hmm... you insulted somebody else, and me also (not the gay thing, i don't give a shit). I'll expect the "I'm human!" rant now, I know your agenda. lol...
    OK, you're clearly pretty touchy about the gay thing. I'm just telling you - STRAIGHT guys are rarely in yoga. They are out weight lifting.

You can spin it any way you like and try and attack me for speaking the truth, but honestly, with your attitude on here, I can see why you can't meet women. You're a total prick to people, and incredibly defensive. Own it.

You are too indirect. Hesitation draws energy from you which is needed to talk to a girl. Problem is you played scenarios in your head already and thought about negative impact too. These negative scenarious is what kills energy. Thats why pick up artists wait 0 seconds to talk with girls. Its so much more effective. Because you dont have time to doubt and lose chance. Check some Sasha daygame and Simplepickup vids on youtube to see how easy it is to talk up unknow girls when you are direct. Doubt and fear should be rigorously excluded !
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Oh - just an offer of help but never mind. I retract it.
    Ann