+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no strings attached

Oops, I reported hardenford and only later realized it was already dead. Sorry mods :-).

haha i tried to email him back saying blah blah blah coz hes bashing me and it wouldn't let me. Glad hes banned again
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Years back I had a FWB and it was great no complications we were good friends that started sleeping with each other. It never effected our friendship and our feelings remained only as friends.

From early this year just out of a 5 year relationship which was one hell of a rocky road. So now to be honest a no strings situation would suit me fine.

Whats the problem its a choice between 2 people. If they are happy with the situation then who is anyone else to say that is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    I dont know about you guys but I am getting tired of people settling for FWB. It always gets complicated and messy, feelings get involved and someone gets hurt..

What is the point of it and why does it seem like a new "thing" now where everybody wants to try it? Is it that these people are just insecure, they want a relationship but the other doesn't so they settle for whatever crumb he/she is willing to give in the hope that one day they will miraculously fall in love? Or is it just since this new film came out a few years ago "no strings attached" and "friends with benefits" and again our teenagers and young adults are following the media like sheep as usual

What do you guys think
    1) If anyone is "settling" for fwb they are doin it wrong. But not everyone in that type of relationship is settling, many of them seek it out and they have their own reasons for doing so.

2) It's not a "new thing" at all, it's been going on for as long as humans, hell as long as living organisms have existed.

3) The point of it is to get your sexual release without any strings attached. If it's not suitable for you then that's fine but it's not your place to say whether it's suitable for anyone other than yourself.

4) You have the media thing backwards. FWB type relationships were going on for eons before movies ever became a thing, it's the movies that put something already happening on display. The overwhelming majority of us grew up on media that made marriage/monogamy/etc out to be this end all be all holy grail of happiness or even worse, a substitute for accomplishment. So if anything people who are given to that mentality are the real media sheep here.

5) I'm sure there's some cases like you say about how people settle for FWB if they can't get a relationship, but by no stretch of the imagination is this the primary motive for FWB. Sometimes you just need a release without any drama and without any emotional investment. How well it goes is dependent on PERSONAL responsibility. You seem to be blaming the fwb relationship archetype for the fact that a small minority of people with no self-awareness are jumping into them without knowing if it's the right thing for them at this point in their life. That's not the type of relationship's fault, it's the person being irresponsible. If you have no tolerance then don't drink, if you're susceptible to gout then don't eat too much protein. If you can't handle a fwb relationship then don't join one! None of these things are inherently bad in and of themselves, it's their misuse that causes all of the problems.
    Last edited by dickriculous; 01-08-13 at 01:17 AM.

FWB's never work out right -- cuz someone she loves the other and gets butthurt. I don't go in for that stuff. You get crazy stalker ex's that way, imho.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by horndog View Post
    Who cares. If they are consenting adults wanting sex without a committed relationship then more power to them. It's certainly better than picking up different people in a bar whenever you want sex.
    wow.. I like your tone. The regulator of what is said and what is of value...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12