+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If he is ignoring/avoiding me, why is he constantly staring at me?

If he is ignoring/avoiding me, why is he constantly staring at me?

I need some help on this one guys, please tell me what you think of this situation.

This guy works in a different department at our workplace, he works the cafe and I work the registers. We have been friends for over two years. Recently, we became close friends and we saw each other almost everyday. He went out of his way to see me. It seemed like he might have liked me.

Out of the blue, I received this text from him, "sorry. you probably know why i am ignoring you, i am doing it on purpose. we were good friends before, let's keep it that way. don't think about it too much."

It was awkward. I didn't know what it was and what it meant. I texted back saying that we should talk about this - as friends and that i would like to be friends too?

He has been avoiding me and in return - I avoid him. He does not speak to me. I made an attempt to talk about why he was ignoring me. But he blew me off and through text I confronted him. He told me that I should have just approached him and that I was making this complicated.

I have made other attempts just to say "hi" and be friendly around our mutual friends. He just ignores me. Most of our friends know that when the two of us are together - its well... awkward.

He even made a sly remark when I walked away once. My girl friend was asking where I went and he responded with "she's probably making out with her ex."

Most of my good friends have told me to ignore him and that he is not worth the trouble.
    This guy and I were pretty good friends, I even called him my best friend at one point. But then out of the blue he sends me that text telling me that he is ignoring me - it bothers me.

It has been a month now. My friends notice that he stares at me on multiple occasions, it is not just me seeing this. They noticed that when I moved around he shifted a bit just to keep me in his sights.

Why if he is ignoring me or avoiding me, why would he stare at me every time we encounter each other?

I'm very confused right now. I don't know if I should just ignore him still, confront him or just wait.
    I mean, this guy keeps me in his sights and for what reason? It is bothering me.

I agree with your good friends about ignoring him. But in real life, the lower part of me would probably go and confront him
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Maybe he think you are attractive. However guy is not a social person. At least not with girls, especial not with you. He might have simpaties for you and thats what makes it so hard to aproach you. He dont wana make mistakes, mess up, dont know what to say, too shy etc. Anyway just be cool near him. If you wana talk then talk. It could be easier to him to use FB or text to start interact with you. Anyway when guy said you should just simply aproach him its actually him who should do it. He blamed you for something that he didnt do. Its the man who should take action. Well he is not. Maybe by being akward he just shows his expierience level near you. Bet hes shy when hes ignoring you but hurt when you do. Anyway you both should just talk for few hours to end this comedy. He dont know you and you dont know him. Its just this stupid sexual tension that builds up from staring.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

WERE you having ex drama? Seems odd that he'd mention something like that just out of the blue. (re: you kissing your ex) It sounds like you might have been asking him for advice about your ex at one point and you were'nt taking it so he's gotten frustrated with you? Any truth to that? Can you explain the dynamics of your "friendship" prior to receiving that text, it might give us a better idea as to what to advise you.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Just a hunch but I bet he recently started dating a girl who did not approve of your friendship and he had to choose between the two of you.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I agree with your good friends about ignoring him. But in real life, the lower part of me would probably go and confront him
    I wanted to talk to confront him but it would have been at work and unprofessional. Other than work as a location, we see each other at gathers but stay away from each other. If I were to confront with our friends around, it would make things more uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    WERE you having ex drama? Seems odd that he'd mention something like that just out of the blue. (re: you kissing your ex) It sounds like you might have been asking him for advice about your ex at one point and you were'nt taking it so he's gotten frustrated with you? Any truth to that? Can you explain the dynamics of your "friendship" prior to receiving that text, it might give us a better idea as to what to advise you.
    I was having ex drama and I did speak to this guy about it before this whole awkwardness happened. I ended up breaking up with my ex and I from time to time, I still hang out with my ex.
    Our friendship before all of this was that we were best friends, nothing ever happened more than that. We saw each other almost everyday. We talked about almost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by horndog View Post
    Just a hunch but I bet he recently started dating a girl who did not approve of your friendship and he had to choose between the two of you.
    In the one month ignoring phase, recently he started hanging out with his co-worker. They are seen together quite often and with other of our friends as well. The two of them had a thing last year but nothing happened. I also know that other guys are fawning over her. She's a cute girl and nice. I am not sure how involved they are.

lalalita Guest
    He was into you, and you going back and forth with your ex turned him off. So, in turn, he cut you off.

I was having ex drama and I did speak to this guy about it before this whole awkwardness happened. I ended up breaking up with my ex and I from time to time, I still hang out with my ex. Our friendship before all of this was that we were best friends, nothing ever happened more than that. We saw each other almost everyday. We talked about almost everything.
    The more you confided in him, the more he felt valued by you and he allowed himself to become vulnerable to you. I suspect he has more than platonic feelings for you but he's smart enough to distance himself from you as long as you're still keeping a douche in your life.

Yea.. he's just sick of your bs waffling, most likely. You complain about a guy who treats you like crap but you still hang out with him. I'd ignore you and leave you to your not learning any lessons too. It gets frustrating lisntening to someone complain and then they leave but keep the same asshole in their life. That's my guess why he's avoiding you now anyway.

To add: Why haven't you completely cut your ex out of your life. If he's so bad that you have to complain to other guys about him, why keep him around?
    Last edited by Wakeup; 03-08-13 at 09:51 PM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I never said my ex was a bad guy. We had a mutual break up. I confided in this guy about the actual break up. So it was not truly "drama". I hang out with my ex from time to time, we wanted to keep our friendship.

It probably could be the reason, but I have been focusing on school recently so I have not seen much of the ex. How would the guy know that I was hanging out with my ex if he is ignoring me anyway?

According to another friend of mine... he is not ignoring me... some of my friends noticed that he is ignoring me. So I don't know what to believe now.
    It is that whole "he said.... she said...." thing.

I did try to make an attempt to talk to him but he blew me off, countless times.

Still confused...

You said: "yes I was having ex drama" Now you're saying "it was not truely drama" anyway

You can tell by his actions if he's ignoring you. what has what other people have to say have to do with anything. By his actions, is he ignoring you?

He blew you off so he's done with your particular drama no matter what the reason is. My guess is STILL that he doesn't appreciate girls who break up and still hang around an ex. I'd not hang around you either if I had feelings for you and you're still sniffing around a past lover's butt.

Only one who can tell you whats up is him and if he's not talking to you then I'd not be talking to him back. If you catch him staring at you, wave and then turn away and get on with your work don't linger for any acknowledgement of your wave. A I don't give a fk attitude is your best defense against feeling hurt that you're out of his loop.

Why are you bothered with him at all? Do you like him? What does he have that makes you think about him? Hes "maybe" attention or something else?
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Good question, PC.

This guy has fallen in love with you, and his world came crashing down when you talked to him about your ex. When he made that comment about you were probably making out with your ex, was pure jealousy. What made it worse for him is you said "I would like to be friends too". That confirmed it for him that he is friend zoned. In his mind he needs to get over you by ignoring you. It's kind of like a break up for him, needing to go no contact. Poor guy can't help but stare at you because he is obsessively in love with you. I bet money on it that he thinks you know he is in love with you and you purposely talked about your ex to send him a message that "it's not going to happen". He's a weirdo, you are best to stay away from him.

I only spoke about my ex to him once. Sure, we are friends, but that is all. What's wrong with staying friends with an ex?
    He started ignoring me quite a while after the break up and we never really spoke about my ex after the first time.
    Honestly, can we please stray from the ex talk. Does this have anything to do with him?

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    ...Why are you bothered with him at all?...
    AGAIN, I am bothered by this because at one point, we were good friends. I wish I could have his friendship back. But I am not sure its worth it anymore since he began ignoring me. I have tried to make it mutual and tried talking to him, but it has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    ...you said "I would like to be friends too". That confirmed it for him that he is friend zoned. In his mind he needs to get over you by ignoring you. It's kind of like a break up for him, needing to go no contact. Poor guy can't help but stare at you because he is obsessively in love with you. ...He's a weirdo, you are best to stay away from him.
    Okay, if "I would like to be friends too," made it worse why did he send me that first "I'm ignoring you text and I want to be friends." Technically, didn't he friendzone me.... please re-read that again. But would he honestly be in love with me? Shouldn't he do something while we both practically ignore each other to death?
    Why is he a weirdo?

Again, I am confused as to why this guy is staring; furthermore, what was it that we had before that could have changed him and started ignoring me?

Something weird happened recently, one of our mutual friends came to me and asked me "why don't you just make up with him?"
    He kept trying to convince me to go with them to the club and I would be the "guest of honor." Whatever that means??
    Last edited by soumariochan; 06-08-13 at 04:46 PM.

Ha I know what I'm talking about. Guys that obsess and find themselves in the friend zone find it very hard to let go. He will alway have the desire to have you in his life, but for now he is trying to fall out of love for you.

I told you why he is ignoring you, he found out he is friend zoned. Guys like him lack a lot of confidence. There is no way he's gonna try to tell you his feelings, because he fears rejection.

They all know he is crushing on you, that's why they say for you two to "make up". It's an inside joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast