+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is a slap really the end of a long-term relationship?

Is a slap really the end of a long-term relationship?

I'm not talking about someone you met a few weeks ago or been with for a couple months but 2 whole years. I understand it was wrong but I've never done that in my life till just recently 2 days ago. Now he won't talk to me nor return my call (yes, I did apologized but it didn't work out). As stated this was a 2 year-old relationship and I haven't done anything bad except that one time. Just that I've never seen a person leave that fast. I think I've only counted a couple seconds and he was already gone.

Is this worth walking out on? Can I get him back? He also unfriended me on facebook. I couldn't believe it. I'm starting to wonder if there could have been other reasons he probably already had in mind and is using this as an additional one?

Please don't post what you would do. I'm not asking for that. I'm asking if this was worth him dumping me over? Right now he's acting as if I don't exist, as if we didn't met and I'm here all depressed. I didn't know where else to write so I'm posting it here.
    Last edited by Anise9; 07-08-13 at 02:22 PM.

Yes, I think it's right to walk away from someone who will hit. Switch genders for a minute - can you imagine anyone telling a woman who's man had hit her to give him another chance? It's really no different.

I can't help but wonder if you've got a fiery temper and the slap was the last straw for him. It's just that cool, calm people don't hit others.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I can't help but wonder if you've got a fiery temper and the slap was the last straw for him. It's just that cool, calm people don't hit others.
    No, I've never hit anyone before that. Maybe there were a couple arguments where we would state our difference and I might have kind of raised my voice but that was all. I was never one that hits (till now but I've apologized but he isn't accepting my apology), just a bit of a yeller.

Why did you hit him? Give the full story please? And how has your relationship been in general? How often do you yell at him? That is not a good way to resolve conflict either? Some would call it verbal or emotional abuse..
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

I also want to know what he did to deserve being slapped. Not that any behaviour deserves violence....but perhaps his behaviour is unacceptable in a relationship
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Let's stop beating about the bush here. The word 'slap' sounds so much nicer than the phrase 'physical violence' doesn't it? If my GF hit me then I'd be out of that door so fast you would not see me for dust. Violence of that kind is never ever acceptable.

What did he do? There are certain things that my bf could do (he never would) that would deserve a slap. Like calling me a c*nt or sl*t to my face. Right or wrong, I can see myself reacting that way, and I've never been a violent person.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous_a View Post
    What did he do? There are certain things that my bf could do (he never would) that would deserve a slap. Like calling me a c*nt or sl*t to my face. Right or wrong, I can see myself reacting that way, and I've never been a violent person.
    Nothing DESERVES a slap.

I agree violence is wrong whether it is a man hitting a woman or a woman hitting a man. However, if my bf did something or said something that resulted in me slapping him. I'm sure that slap would be my way of saying to him "its over". Like if he called me a "cunt" or a "slut" or got in my face and was aggressive towards me-I would slap him and then I would leave..
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Yes it absolutely was right that he dumped you and if I were him I would ignore you as if you didn't exist, just as he is doing. It's called having self-respect and standards of what you'll accept as treatment by others. I don't know if you'll be able to get him back, but I hope not - I guess it will depend if he's reacting the way he is simply to teach you a lesson or because he really truly feels he deserves better - I'm hoping the latter.
    Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    I agree violence is wrong whether it is a man hitting a woman or a woman hitting a man. However, if my bf did something or said something that resulted in me slapping him. I'm sure that slap would be my way of saying to him "its over". Like if he called me a "cunt" or a "slut" or got in my face and was aggressive towards me-I would slap him and then I would leave..
    This.

Really would like to know what happened.

Just be glad he didn't hit you back. i agree with one of the other people. if you got angry enough to slap him, you probably show your anger easily and are rather fiery. your temper is probably out of control and he had enough. i don't blame him. i disagree with a couple of the women here in the fact that if they were called a cunt or a slut they may slap the guy. if you called a guy a dick, or asshole which many of you probably have and we hit you, we would be in jail. i call my girlfriend a slut and a whore to her face, but she likes that and basically is foreplay.

YES... he did the right thing for his own emotional health by dumping you. Go get yourself some anger management classes along with books on how to communicate without becoming violent.

He's a smart man who doesn't need a woman who will slap him. If he did something to you so bad that you felt he needed to be slapped then he's no good for you either. Still doesn't mean you get to slap him. You can get your point across with words. Ever here the saying "The pen is mightier then the sword?"

Be glad its over, look into learning how express yourself with words.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 08-08-13 at 05:17 AM. Reason: added
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Yes.. He lost a lot of respect for you when u put your hands on him.