+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Women: Did I misread these signals?

Women: Did I misread these signals?

I'll make this quick. Let me preface it by saying that while I'm in no way fantastic at reading women, I'm pretty decent in social situations when I need to be and can pick up well on body language.

I was at a function with family and friends. This woman - call her Kate - was also in town for the function. She's a friend of the family who I've met maybe twice. Immediately her personality attracted me so I chatted her up. She was chatty, smiling, and touchy feely the whole time and stayed close to me. We ended up having a great time together and even spent some time with each other the following days while she was in town. She acted the same way: chatty, lots of touching, even an overtly sexual remark, etc.

But. With all the family and friends in town for the weekend, we had little time together one-on-one. And when we did get some time alone late one night, she fell asleep (long weekend).

So, in the end, nothing happened, and now she's gone back home, which isn't particularly close to here. I did get her phone number.

I'm befuddled. I'm a confident guy, but I'm always skeptical that women are actually interested in me. Now I'm thinking that she's really just a friendly person, and is in no way attracted to me. She really is a terrific woman, though, so I'm hesitant to just give this one up.

The last thing I'll add is that it is possible she thinks it's just weird to be in any way involved with me because our families have known each other for a long time.

For the women here, did I just misread this whole thing? Is it worth continuing contact with her by phone to get to know her better, even though she doesn't live nearby? And do you think she was just being friendly? If there is something I can learn from this, I want that to happen.

Thanks so much.

You've had a great time with her and got her number. Where exactly is the problem?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

So you're basically asking us if you misread signals... signals you haven't actually yet responded to in any way? Beyond asking her for her number - a number you haven't yet dialled - it doesn't seem like you've done anything to register your interest in her... and yet you want to know if she's attracted to you? Sorry but I'm a bit befuddled as to what it is you're 'befuddled' by.
    Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

Sorry for the confusion. I guess this is more of a "what do I do?" post. On one hand, I think she was flirty (though maybe I'm wrong) and I have her number. On the other hand, we had basically no one-on-one time together, so I have no idea if she would be open to me making a move, she doesn't live close by, and she's a friend of the family, so I could see her feeling weird about the whole thing.

So what I'm asking is: Does there seem to be enough interest here on her part for me to pursue, or should I just forget about this one? I can't seem to get a good read on the situation because there just wasn't much time. That's why I'm posting.

Thanks for the clarification. Well, it seems to me that you're interested enough in her to post here, so I would suggest just forgetting about it would be something you'd most likely live to regret. Do you want to be wondering 'what would have happened if I'd just called her' ten years from now? As I understand it from 'older' people, you end up regretting the things you didn't do in life a lot more than the things you did do that maybe didn't work out the way you hoped they might. My personal opinion based on what you've written is that she enjoyed your company, and that alone should be enough to warrant a phone call. If things progress from there, great, and if they don't you have a new friend - either way you'll probably get a better read on where she's coming from just by chatting with her a bit. I don't really see how being a friend of the family would make things weird, don't most people meet either through work or through friends/family? There's really nothing weird about that aspect of your situation.
    Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

You don't know whether she is interested or not until you ask her out on a date. Simple as that. If she says she is busy or doesn't know, that pretty much a no.