+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else into cooking?

Anyone else into cooking?

I love baking and trying out new recipes.....but I, uh...suck at cooking, lol.
    Still, it doesn't stop me from trying.

Does anyone else enjoy working in the kitchen?
    Care to share some recipes and get a thing going here?

I'd be down.

Absolutely.... I love to cook.... I find it better to get some basics down when it comes to cooking... how to prepare most meats and vegetables... then you can be variable with spices and such... what kind of food do you like? I'll put together some simple recipes for you.

I hate baking but I love cooking everything else. It's winter here and the slow cooker is getting a big workout - lots of curries and middle eastern casseroles. I always cook from scratch - I won't use tins of soup or premade sauces because of all the additives.

Last night I cooked the Chicken and Yoghurt Curry from this page. Very easy, mild curry

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Mdfacqx2UaQC&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=charmain e+solomon+dahi+murgh&source=bl&ots=Z8apgjCRSO&sig= khX0qVNyF2DqjYFkPVa-_ZcAdiM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BvQCUrbxFIzFkwWK-oCoAg&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=charmaine%20solo mon%20dahi%20murgh&f=false
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I enjoy cooking but I have to be in the mood to really cook. Not throwing something together like a quick meal but actually preparing a authentic, thought out meal that takes time. My grandparents, great Aunts, Uncles are from Trinidad so I like to cook that kind of food sometimes and I live in the Southeast so sometimes I like to cook southern food. It's so good. When I decide to cook something, I like having my GFs to come over and eat and drink wine etc.

I am horrible at baking desserts. I only had a cake and it was strawberry that came out good. That was it.

Basil, that sounds good. I love curry foods.

Baking isn't so bad. I worked in a bakery for a year or so.. its about being precise.... not like cooking where theres a large margin of error for taste.... when baking.. stick to the recipe...

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInflux View Post
    Baking isn't so bad. I worked in a bakery for a year or so.. its about being precise.... not like cooking where theres a large margin of error for taste.... when baking.. stick to the recipe...
    I think I'd like baking better if I had a sweet tooth. I think my aversion to baking largely has it's root in me thinking that the outcome isn't worth the mess.

Thankfully, my father in law was a pastry chef and my hubby and daughter bake too. So I've never had to make a birthday cake
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I think I'd like baking better if I had a sweet tooth. I think my aversion to baking largely has it's root in me thinking that the outcome isn't worth the mess.

Thankfully, my father in law was a pastry chef and my hubby and daughter bake too. So I've never had to make a birthday cake
    Thats AWESOME. When I thought about baking when I was younger.. it was mostly the "sweet tooth" type of stuff.. but baking can go much further than that. Making your own Pizza dough, and nothing is as good as your own homemade french bread... with a little cornmeal on the bottom so it doesn't stick but also gives it flavor... mmm so good.

Its also very similar in that way to making cheese. If you can bake.. you can make yourself some amazing home-made Mozzarella... it just depends on how far you want to go with the "make it from scratch" thing.

I'd always be happy to trade recipes with you though...

Sounds like we have some seasoned chefs around here!
    (haha...)

That recipe looks really good basil - simple to make too, by the sound of it. I like meals that don't have a HUGE list of ingredients. I hate getting pumped for a recipe, only to realize you're missing essential(often obscure), ingredients.

I made a quick teriyaki meatloaf last night. It was okay, but I didn't use enough ground beef so it was a bit thin

I'll share my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe with everyone later this evening. It's one of the only things I'm good at making.....
    Oh and high-protein, southwest chicken pockets!

Homemade mozza?!
    Oh my, I'm going to have to try that one of these days....

Love to cook and I am pretty good at it (or so I am often told *blushes*) Can't bake worth a shit (which I'm often also told lolz)

Did a new recipe for boneless chicken breasts... was awesome: Dip chicken breast one at a time, both sides in a shallow dish of mayonaise... then sprinkle both sides with parmisian cheese, salt and pepper to taste and bake until no longer pink inside. They were the crispiest yet juiciest on the inside we've had yet. Nummmy
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

My gf is teaching me how to cook. nothing too adventurous as i'm still a novice but i'm enjoying it. i'm a follow the recipe to the letter kind of cook
    so far in my repertoire i've cooked spag bol, chilli con carne and coq au vin.
    Don’t try to be everything to everyone. Be everything to someone.

Mmm, that does sound good!!
    I've never thought of using mayonnaise before. I'll have to try it, maybe even tonight if I have everything
    I'll let you know how it turns out and post a pic if it works.

I enjoy slicing chicken breast into strips, coating them in, egg, flour and seasoned panko crumbs, then baking. It's a great recipe for kids....way better for them then the frozen nuggets and it only takes a bit longer to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Tiger View Post
    My gf is teaching me how to cook. nothing too adventurous as i'm still a novice but i'm enjoying it. i'm a follow the recipe to the letter kind of cook
    so far in my repertoire i've cooked spag bol, chilli con carne and coq au vin.

Chili is AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Chili is AWESOME!!
    The only thing is I cant make it to hot, as my gf is a chilli pepper wimp
    Don’t try to be everything to everyone. Be everything to someone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast