+ Follow This Topic

Thread: anxious about the future...

anxious about the future...

I'm a very neurotic, anxious and fearful person. I'm getting into college this fall,I'm majoring in computer science, I can't imagine myself doing anythig else, but I don't think I'll make it... I just don't feel able to face it, I think I'll just end up being a cashier... I'll freak out if I don't achieve my goals...

When you get there make an appointment to see a counselor.....all collages and unis have them. They will help you adjust.

I now work with people - high school and adults - who are seeking to change their lives through higher education and/or learning a marketable skill and many of them feel like you do. Here's what I try to teach them: First, focus on what you've already accomplished and not on what you fear you won't be able to accomplish. In your case, you've graduated high school and got accepted into college - two very big accomplishments already. Second, when you catch yourself speaking or thinking about yourself negatively ("I don't think I'll make it. I'll end up a cashier") consciously STOP that kind of talk - say it out loud if you have to: STOP - and then say instead, "I've made it this far. There's no reason why I can't finish what I've started in order to get what I want. Even if I have to work twice as hard as other people to get my goal, I can do it because I'm not afraid of hard work." Third, realize that there are many other people entering college who are probably feeling the same way since college is a different kind of life than high school. You are not alone. And also realize this - it's okay to feel fearful and uncertain. It's only when you let that fear and uncertainty immobilize you that you'll get in trouble. Let those feelings instead motivate you to try harder. Then, with each small victory, you'll find yourself getting more confident, stronger.

Try your best to make the most of the time that you spend in college. See what extra-curricular activities are available, clubs, computer science groups, etc. Seek a counselor or advisor if you feel the need. Believe it or not, one day you're going to look back and consider this time your "good old days".

Your anxiety sounds severe. That alone can prevent you from doing skilled work. Have you been professionally evaluated by a psychiatrist? All the positive thinking in the world can't help you if you have a legitimate, severe mental impairment. I suggest you look into this before you waste years of your life pursuing something you will fail at.

Work towards change and a future. Everything worth having is worth working for, so determine your goals, the path you need to take to get there, and make it happen. I'm 28 and just enrolled in university for the first time. Don't be me, find that drive when you're younger, and have a degree by 28.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley