+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Can my relationship work?

Can my relationship work?

Recently I went over to America (I live in the UK) and met this amazing girl and totally fell for her. We were totally happy together but I had to leave the country to study back home and it's one of the hardest things to be away from her. I really want to settle down with this girl but my studied aren't done for another 3 years, I can see her for 3 weeks a year if I'm lucky until then.

Would it be stupid to think that we can keep waiting for this long and still be happy together after? It seems like 3 years of missing her and that's it. Any advice about how to cope with this situation appreciated.

You'd be giving up three years of meeting other people in order to try to make things work with her. Then because you've only gotten to see her once a year, odds are likely as not you'd discover some way you were incompatible once you were living closer to her. It's a huge sacrifice to be making for something that's likely not to pan out. If you're a traditional college age student, then you're still young and will have plenty of opportunities to meet other girls. I think you're better off ending things with her.
    “This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.” ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

LDRs don't work out because of the lack of physical contact, and loneliness. Without physical contact you lose emotional connection....that's why these things just fall apart. You will be able to move on and meet someone new.

The best thing to do is to part ways, and when you are free of your studies and can move abroad, you might be able to rekindle the relationship. OR you can go to school where she lives.

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that we have known each other for over 18 months. We are very close and know each other very well. I'm more than sure that we get on well and we know pretty much everything about one another. Would you still advise the same thing? It would be hugely upsetting and difficult for me to end it altogether.

Can she move to the UK for three years?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

If one of you can move to be ith the other-go for it. If not, its better to just end it now. LDR's dont work. The chances of one of you cheating is VERY high
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Trust me, it will get to a point that one or both of you will find yourselves unsatisfied and depressed because of the distance....YOU WILL grow apart....it's not a guess, it's a fact. I think it's totally unfair to expect someone to wait 3 bloody years....it's asinine.

It can be done, but it will be quite a test to such a young relationship.

If you think she might be the girl, then you both will have to sacrifice (though it shouldn't feel like it) a lot to remain together. Whatever it takes. Love is not to be put in second place, or you will lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by toknow View Post
    It can be done.
    BOllocks - never going to work in a million years