+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Really struggling to get over commitmentphobic ex

Really struggling to get over commitmentphobic ex

I was with my last boyfriend about 6 months - he really understood me, we were totally comfortable together, things were fantastic. Initially, we were really really happy. After a few months we started arguing about his lack of commitment to the relationship - he only ever wanted to see me on his terms, wouldn't meet my friends and kept me really compartmentalized from the rest of his life. We split up in April (for the second time) with him saying he didn't see a future with me.

This was all months ago now and I'm still in so much pain and struggling to forget about him. I've tried to date but I haven't met anyone who even comes close to the way I felt about him. I'm so upset that it hasn't worked out because I still love him and miss him so much. I just don't know how to move past this and feel like I could have handled it a lot better. I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom anyone has about moving on.

lalalita Guest
    You should appreciate his honesty with you, and that he didn't stay with you for years being unfaithful and stringing you along.

Wow talk about co-dependency....This relationship wasn't that good and you are bend out of shape over it? The guy didn't invest much into it, in fact he dated out of continence. Why would you love someone that didn't love you back and treated you like crap? I suspect you were way too clingy with him so he kept you at arms length. So here you are still hurt over a guy that wasn't really into you. This was months ago, stop obsessing, he was never worth in in the first place.

You broke up back in frickin December, get a grip.......sorry but you are the creator of your own demise with that relationship and your constant pain. You must go get some counseling.

Don't fall into the trap of comparing the new guy based on the characteristics the old guy had. People have many different characteristics and if you open your mind you are sure to find someone new that is even better than the last.