+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Job search help

Job search help

Tomorrow I was thinking of stopping for lunch at a local sub shop that's hiring on my way home from an employment center. Should I buy something to eat and then as I am being rung up, ask about an application?
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

They don't give you extra points for buying their products before you ask for a job. Just be unashamed and go in and ask for an application.

Ain't no shame in honest work boy.

Good point. So then do I ask for a manager when I finish?
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

Don't forget to ask the girl behind the counter for her number, you sly devil.

Do they know you already? Do you go in there a lot? They will be more open to considering your application if you are familiar to them and if you have chatted to them a few times. I talked to the man next door and his daughter numerous times casually before asking for a job and they both strongly recommended me to his wife who is the boss and I got the job.

If I was outside cleaning or having a cig-we would talk for a bit and by just being social and friendly I got an AMAZING job offer and at the time I wasn't even being sneaky hoping to get a job as I thought they were closing down but they are actually relocating. When he told me that I said "hmmm I am gonna give him my CV"
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

If they don't know you. Its better to just walk straight in and ask to see the manager. And be confident and say "I am very eager to work and I would love to give you my CV for consideration. If anything comes up, I would really appreciate it if you considered my application, I would work very hard and I wouldn't let you down" And tell him you are a student who would love to have some extra pocket money and that you live locally etc etc

Come across as confident and you have a much better chance.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    Do they know you already? Do you go in there a lot?
    Completely irrelevant. If I were a small business owner I'd actually be less likely to hire a regular customer as it would have an impact on my income.

YC, walk up to the bar manager (or whoever is behind the bar) and ask if they're hiring. Bring a resume/cl with you, leave it, thank them, and walk out.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

So anyone behind the register, ask if they're hiring (even if it's not a manager and thus wouldn't know)? I'm scared of committing some faux pas/being really awkward, hence I keep planning it out in my mind. And so I fill out an application and leave a resumé as well? Or just a resumé?

lalalita Guest
    It's a sub shop, not a fortune 500 company. Relax.

So? One should treat any job opportunity with respect and with the proper approach.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCosmo View Post
    So? One should treat any job opportunity with respect and with the proper approach.
    Take your job approach similarly to how you'd take a dating approach, don't hang every hope on this one sub shop. If you are interested in finding work, apply to as many places as you can reasonably do the job. Stay optimistic and confident. Even if you bomb an interview or two, keep your head up and try again, learn from every mistake so you can do better next time.

Good luck!

Ask for the application 1st and while in there go think I'll get one of your whatevers to go. Be social, friendly, upbeat -- like someone the manager thinks will get on well with the others working there.
    Dress nice enough too, casual but nice.

So? Did ya apply?
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Didn't go. Couldn't think of how to approach it. But, I do have an interview tomorrow morning for another place.

I had an interview on Friday morning and at its conclusion I was offered a second interview for Tuesday with the manager of the store I applied for (whereas this interview was a pre-screen interview with a manager of another store) in the afternoon with a phone call later on Friday to confirm. However, I did not receive a phone call on Friday. Was I offered a second interview out of courtesy, so as to avoid rejecting me face to face? Through experience, I dread "I will call you today" because almost invariably, I never actually receive a phone call.

Additional Details
    I should explain: the pre-screen first interview was held at a Panera that wasn't the one which I applied for. She recommended (or so she says she was going to) me to the GM of the store I was applying for. Now, I understand she may have been busy and so I might receive this call on Monday or Tuesday. If no call is had by Tuesday, should I drop by the store I applied for and introduce myself? I was thinking of calling the manager with whom I had the interview on Tuesday morning if no call was received and asking if she managed to get into contact with the GM for an interview later that day. Good idea?