+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What do you do when you love somebody and you know you can't have them?

What do you do when you love somebody and you know you can't have them?

Say you love somebody and you feel you belong with them - what do you do when you know you can NEVER have that person, ever?

I.e. the possibility of being that person is 0%.

What do you do?

Do you just forget about it? Make that person your "ultimate standard"? Or keep thinking about that person until you meet the right person?

Thanks.

You have no choice but to let them go unfortunately. It can be painstakingly tough... gut wrenching... anxiety ridden... and one of the most awful things you can go through if you're attached to someone in that way and yet you can never have them.

Holding them to a standard isn't an ideal situation.... as you don't want to hold on to an idea of someone that you could never have, it will likely set you up for disappointment anyway as anyone you do find won't be similar enough to what you wanted for it to really matter.

That did make me think of this song... though.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbJ-eEgrf1c

And as for keep thinking about that person until you meet the right person.... well... thats kind of a given... you'll likely always think about that person in some capacity if you truly loved them.... despite how much you may not want to. No matter how much you try to forget them, it will never be simple.... but we can all hope it just gets easier in time.

First of all you cant "love" someone or know that "you belong with them" if you have never been in a long term relationship with them so your QS makes no sense.. unless you are talking about infatuation. What would I do if I was infatuated by someone that I cant have? Give myself a big kick up the arse, shake myself and tell myself to get a f**king life coz hes just one man who doesn't know what hes missing.. his loss..

"Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

is this how you feel all the time ?
    Maybe taking a break from being around them, see your friends more often, find another guy, just try to keep busy.
    I have this situation right now, but i know I need to focus on myself, so that is keeping me busy and all I want to know that she is happy in the end, and wont feel jealous or interfer if she gets engaged in the future, and i know from interacting with her in person, she deserves a person that is ready and treats her well.
    We keep in contact, but I try to limit my communication, mainly just say, "hi and what's new?" and if she's coming to the Friday meeting or any event that is organized by the group ...
    Whatever happens in the future, I'll adopt to those situations.
    It just isn't the right time for me right now to date and share with that person my feelings.

Guys are disappoints anyways. You've just dodged a bullet!
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

If you know you can't be with them, then it's best to forget about the person. If you keep thinking about them and holding them up as the "ultimate standard", then you'll always feel as though nobody else compares to them. Instead, it's better to try to find the flaws with that person. Then look for appealing characteristics in other people you meet so you can move on.
    “This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.” ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I'm so sick of this bitch lol.
    May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars