+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to become more knowledgeable. What should I start first with?

I want to become more knowledgeable. What should I start first with?

History? Poetry? Geography?

Where do I begin?

Your self esteem.

Dare I say it, being more knowledgeable will improve my self-esteem. I feel stupid.

Philosophy

I second philosophy, ancient greek philosophers to be precise. I suggest you buy an undergrad-level textbook about ancient greek philosophy. Also read lots of good fiction, browse wikipedia leisurely, read good popular science books. Pay attention in class, especially maths, science and history. Read the news every day. Keep an open mind.

Philosophy isn't entirely a good start for increased intelligence, as you have to have some in the first place to really grasp the entirety of the subject matter, and a lot of it isn't particularly interesting to read.

No matter what facts you learn or procedural contexts you consume, your overall intelligence will only be worth the amount at which you apply it. In that aspect, you should read a lot of self help books and learn some common sense before you delve into anything as complex as quantum theory.

She wants to be more knowledgeable, not more intelligent.

The basic concepts of ancient greek philosophy aren't at all hard to understand, nor are most pages on wikipedia or works of fiction and popular science. Reading the news doesn't require an advanced level of intelligence either. By reading lots of different, thought-provoking things, doing well in school and keeping her mind open she will be able to exercise her intelligence, as well as her critical thinking. I don't think she plans to delve into quantum mechanics anytime soon (nor would I advise it).

Self-help books are a waste of money and time, IMHO. The only way to become more "intelligent" is to simply exercise your intelligence. It's like drawing or painting - the only way to become better at it is... drawing or painting. You may read painting manuals and study art history and whatnot, but unless you take a paintbrush and start painting there's no way you'll become better at it.
    Last edited by searock; 27-08-13 at 03:25 AM.

Knowledge is only as good as the basis in which you apply it. Knowing about the American Revolution won't give you any additional comfort in your daily life in regards to what you are able to accomplish. Like with anything you can gain knowledge over a vast amount of topics and still end up "feeling stupid" as the OP puts it.

Knowing how to perform radiocarbon dating, or general theories on the evolutionary process of primates won't help you with situational awareness nor will it assist in any fields apart from those that require that knowledge.

Knowledge that pertains to the person is what matters, nothing irrelevant, which much of the greek philosophies really are, in the works of Plato and Aristotle. Yes some of them have a good grasp on rhetoric or love (Like the symposium) but overall, a lot of times you're left with only what you take away from it which in many cases is interpretation.

Self help books on the other hand, won't give you much in the way of knowledge, but some can help a lot with keeping an open mind and being receptive to looking at things in a different light. Some self-help books have more general, life-affirming philosophy then what you'd find from most books in the philosophy section.

For someone who believes knowledge will give them self worth, no amount of knowledge or intelligence will aid in that.

I agree that knowledge without intelligence isn't much, of course. I was just reiterating what OP was asking for: how to be more knowledgeable.

My advise to her wasn't, however, limited to that scope. By reading, thinking, exercising her critical thinking and reasoning, she will not only become more knowledgeable, but she will also get better at using her brain (metaphorically speaking). It's a win-win. You learn by doing.

Self-help books are only theory... it's like wanting to learn how to ride a bike just by reading books about it, without ever mounting on an actual bike.

Quote Originally Posted by academicgirl View Post
    History? Poetry? Geography?

Where do I begin?
    Study what interests you the most, simple as that. I myself love history. You can start with the history of the town you live in or your family history with genealogy. That seems to be the newest hobby out there.

I agree with you on everything.. though we'll have to agree to disagree on the self help books, I think in a way it is all "theory" in the same way anything given on an advice forum is "theory". For example I could advise someone that leaving their husband who beats them would make them happier, which is something I'm sure you could find in certain self help books as well, and in theory it would make them happier in the long run, but that doesn't mean they will be happier.

In the same way, reading the help manuals about applications on your computer might give you knowledge on how to use the application without ever using the application, but when actually using the application, problems will occur. I guess if they didn't and everyone was a thorough reader, I'd be out of a job. In that same way, knowing where Colorado is geographically would be great if you're looking at a map that doesn't have the lines drawn, but when dropped into a forest and told to get to Colorado that knowledge becomes less useful.

I think there are a wide range of "self help" books, and "self improvement" books that are rooted more in actual mental discipline over a wide range of topics with the desired benefits of making ones self better, be it with physical, emotional, or intellectual betterment. Its a very broad field.

Psychology and criminal profiling.

Once you understand yourself and others, you can learn so much more than you'll find in books.

How to pull men

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post

Once you understand yourself and others, you can learn so much more than you'll find in books.
    Another two favorites of mine....have an interest in serial killers since we had a few here in my area. Clifford Olsen, Robert Pickton, and Gary Ridgeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling View Post
    Philosophy
    Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I second philosophy, ancient greek philosophers to be precise. I suggest you buy an undergrad-level textbook about ancient greek philosophy. Also read lots of good fiction, browse wikipedia leisurely, read good popular science books. Pay attention in class, especially maths, science and history. Read the news every day. Keep an open mind.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInflux View Post
    In that aspect, you should read a lot of self help books and learn some common sense
    Which ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post

Thanks. Sounds very interesting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast