+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do I need to know/plan/etc in order to move out on my own for the first time?

I know it doesn't cover everything such as regular maintenance, but all I meant was that if parts start falling out tomorrow, I don't have to worry about paying for that all out of pocket like I would if it were a much older vehicle.

As for ditching the car, I've been going back and forth on that idea. Problems do arise with that, though. Even in KW, from what I've heard, the public transit isn't rock star. Plus, places to live closer to campus seem a ton more expensive than if I chose something farther away anyway. Things are just really complicated without a car in this general area. Not to mention that if I give up the car, I totally give up the car. Yes, it reduces some expenses for the time being, but in the long run I'll have thrown away a huge financial help from my parents, especially since I suggested giving up the car in exchange for money instead, to which they said I can take the car or leave the car, but they won't give me the money for it. If I don't take the car while I have the chance, I know it will be a long, long time before I can afford one on my own.

Have you considered renting a room from a family near campus? Or a house share with 3 or 4 other students? That is the cheapest way to go. Put an add up on a few local shop windows. Just say "Student on a tight budget looking to rent a room where I can share a kitchen and laundry facilities. I can afford to pay 100 per week" or something similar.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    Have you considered renting a room from a family near campus? Or a house share with 3 or 4 other students? That is the cheapest way to go. Put an add up on a few local shop windows. Just say "Student on a tight budget looking to rent a room where I can share a kitchen and laundry facilities. I can afford to pay 100 per week" or something similar.
    Also something I considered, but I'm nervous about this option. Maybe not renting a room from a family, but a fair amount of the nicer places where it is just a room rental with a family is that they stipulate things such as "quite after 11pm," "no male visitors," etc. So that makes renting a room with a family challenging. Not impossible, but challenging. Plus, I'd prefer a house share with other students, but even that worries me after all the horror stories I've heard about people sharing accommodation with strangers. I'd absolutely love to share something with friends, but I don't really have any... Living at home for my first year of university was a mistake. I met no one... I genuinely tried to put myself out there, but I take a while to come out of my shell to people, so it wasn't a major success.

I'm not shooting down ideas, guys! Just want to make that clear. Just sort of explaining my concerns with some options to see if anyone has suggestions for overcoming such concerns.

I think you should give it a try, living with other students I mean. It seems scary until you do it, but then you realize that most students are just like you, not scary people at all. Look for ads in your campus, like "room for rent to share in a house with three other rooms and two bathrooms"... call the numbers and go look at the house, you will also meet your potential new housemates during the process and you can decide whether it feels safe enough.

The best way to go is a house share with 3 other females your age IMO. You would make new friends that way for a start and its usually a safe option.

Put up an add saying looking to share accommodation with other female students in the area. Give me a call. You could arrange to meet them for coffee. Kind of like an interview and pick your favorite 3, then find a home together

Yes, definitely look for houses with only female students. You'll feel safer that way :-).

That's a really good way to go about it! Certainly better than committing to living with total strangers. Looks like that is the route I'll be taking, thanks guys. Shame I hadn't started this move out process sooner, though... With it already being the end of August, I'm sure most people have accommodation figured out so it'll be tough to find other students last minute. I'll just have to give it a try, though.

You will be fine. Put up an add in a few local shops and restaurants or student bars. Even if you don't find people coming looking for accommodation, you may be approached by people who need someone to move in with them. There is nothing to be scared of. These are college girls, just like you. If your wary, get a friend to go with you to meet them and meet in a public place.

You're totally right, Michelle. I know you are. Still tough to not be a little nervous, though. As I said, making friends with new people is tough for me as it is; trying to make friends/meet people knowing I'm trying to find them for the purposes of living together is a whole new level of scary for me, haha. I'm certainly going to try, though.

Any other advice or things I need to know about the whole moving out/living on my own process?

If you live with other students make sure your bedroom has a lock on it so no one can touch your stuff.

Set up a car pool with others so you can recover some of your costs.

Ah, more good things to note. Good idea on recovering costs! And yes, the lock is good. That'll probably make me feel less nervous about living with strangers. I won't feel so worried about my things.

Anything I need to know about the actual rental application process?

If you are going in on a place with others, make sure everyone's name is on the lease, and please read the lease agreement thoroughly. You want to make sure everyone is responsible for paying their own share of the rent. Never pay with cash, pay with a cheque and write rent on the cheque as well as your portion of the deposit. Never hand over money to anyone that promises to pay the rent for you. They can easily just walk away with your money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12