+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arbitrary closing of threads

Arbitrary closing of threads

This is complaint directed at Lord Darkshire. Lord Darkshire has been closing threads because he feel a few posts in a thread has been going off-topic or that somehow it is "a waste of space". Threads should be allowed to go to whatever directions posters would like it to and if a certain thread is truly "a waste of space", it would have died naturally. I feel that this recent arbitrary closing of threads is destroying the space for free-expression on this forum.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

Thats a great idea, you should go make your own forum and you can moderate it as you see fit. Have fun!

I agree in some ways; In the case where the discussion was still open (off topic, or not), then yes, it should be left open.

In the cases where it has dropped down to nothing but a bunch of insults being thrown around, then I say, go ahead and close it! Pointless!!
    May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars

whatever you say Bored George
    My Life Through Lyrics

I actually agree. Just because a discussion has gone off topic doesn't mean it's no longer fun or interesting to participate in and/or read. I think threads should be closed only when they degenerate into insult-fests and pointless trolling (like your last "holding hands" thread, which falls under the second category).
    Last edited by searock; 29-08-13 at 02:58 AM.

Sigh, thats not traditionally how forums work... there has to be some kind of semblance of order. Certain threads stay on topic so that you don't just have one immensely long thread that starts with someone asking.. "How do I show my husband I love him" and then 3 pages down the line it devolves to.. "I just bought my turtle a necklace and I've lost my shoes."

There is no "free expression" on forums.. they are privately run... as with most places that are privately run, "free expression" comes at a price. Here it is locking threads and banning people, at work it might be losing your job... and the list keeps going.

I've run forums before.. and I've moderated before... you don't want to see a forum with no moderation... you wouldn't like those kind of forums... believe me.

We have it decent around here. In some forums I've been in, they would have banned you for three days for complaining about the moderating, fearoflove.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInflux View Post

There is no "free expression" on forums.. they are privately run... as with most places that are privately run, "free expression" comes at a price. Here it is locking threads and banning people, at work it might be losing your job... and the list keeps going.

I've run forums before.. and I've moderated before... you don't want to see a forum with no moderation... you wouldn't like those kind of forums... believe me.
    I am not saying there should be no moderating. But there should be a good reason to close those threads. Just arbitrarily closing threads because some of the latter posts didn't stick to topic or if the moderator think it wasn't of value (which doesn't mean it isn't of value to the OP or some posters) is just wrong. That is not to say that for example, overt hate threads or as some of the posters here mentioned threads that degenerate into posters insulting each other should not be banned/closed. But if there is no real urgency or necessity for closing those threads then they should be left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I think threads should be closed only when they degenerate into insult-fests and pointless trolling (like your last "holding hands" thread, which falls under the second category).
    I wasn't trolling. I seriously wanted insight into my situation.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post
    This is complaint directed at Lord Darkshire. Lord Darkshire has been closing threads because he feel a few posts in a thread has been going off-topic or that somehow it is "a waste of space". Threads should be allowed to go to whatever directions posters would like it to and if a certain thread is truly "a waste of space", it would have died naturally. I feel that this recent arbitrary closing of threads is destroying the space for free-expression on this forum.
    Maybe you can get all the attention you want from a psychologist. You know. At the asylum.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

I agree OP. Sometimes I wonder, are the threads being closed for a genuine reason or just because someone has the authority to do so? If it's an argument getting out of hand then yeah close it but if its a discussion and the OP isn't compaining, then why close it? I be wanting to know what's going on as oppose to it being abruptly closed sometimes. It does get annoying. I know I've been known to curse certain bitches out and they deserved it and I can understand it being closed but reasons like that, yeah I get it. Any other time no.

Hi Everyone. Here to add some clarity to this issue as it has come up before.

Once a topic in one of the main forums goes off the rails, we are required to close the topic. We do not need to give a reason for it, but usually we will. Many times we receive reports about the nature of the posts, and during the act of cleaning the thread up, it becomes clear the OP has left the site and isn't coming back, or no more useful advice will be given to them, thus ending the need to keep it open.

Note that we actually don't close that many topics, far less than we probably should based on how some of the members in this forum act towards others. If you'd like your topic to stay open, then post it in the "Off Topic Discussion" section, as we generally do not moderate that forum at all.

-OtF

Orders from above, I get it :-).

i agree some threads should be locked but if someone is trolling on a persons thread and not the OP doing it, then why not delete the trolling posts instead of locking the OPs thread? i have clicked on lots of threads where same posters are arguing and think lock it, but i don't report because i don't think it is fair to the OP to have their thread locked if they are not causing the discord on the thread to make it locked. arguing on the internet is a huge waste of time. i don't get why people get so invested in something that they need to argue, most on here are adults. those threads where it is fulling of adults arguing is an embarrassment, imo.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

This isn't a Live Journal... In your particular case, fearoflove you were trolling your own thread. No one was bothering to reply or answer to your self-absorbed ramblings since you were'nt asking for or looking for advice or opinions. All it was, was consequtive posts from yourself about your own teen romantic angst.

You'd do well to post your own thoughts in a diary like most teens do. Just sayin.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I understand closing threads because they have gone off topic, I don't agree with it but I accept it. However: how is a very normal debate about sexism "bull shit"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast