+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has any one ever loved unconditionally before ?

has any one ever loved unconditionally before ?

has any one on this forum ever loved unconditionally before, im wondering if its a myth ?

No there is no such thing. All love should come with conditions such as "if you cheat on me, lie to me, abuse me, become an addict, are very lazy, a slob, have no emotional intelligence, all work and no play or all play and no work, a bad parent, a bad husband etc then I will walk away from you, get over you and move on and meet someone better.

There should ALWAYS be conditions to your love. If love were unconditional then you would allow someone to treat you like absolute dirt and stay with them saying "I love him" like a twat. There are plenty of doormats out there but I'm glad I'm not one of them
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

There is no such thing as romantic unconditional love. There is unconditional dependency on someone, infatuation, limerence, obsession... not love.

I think I did once, or I tried to, because I believed the myth, or better said I had a very unrealistic view on relationships, I suppose. He was everything I had ever wanted in a man, we were simply wonderful together and besides there were so many common personal elements in his life and mine and also some very different but attractive aspects in each of us that it really seemed like a match made in heaven. However when the real problems appeared we were unable to solve them. I would have tried forever at that time but he was a little bit more realistic than me I suppose and gave up for good the second time we failed and from one day to another decided to never ever speak a single word to me again and never did. Seven months later he was with someone else, totally opposite to me, and little by little went back to his old way of life... Me instead I spent the next three-four years thinking that I had to transform the energy of our personalities and relationship on my own through a complicated feeling and thinking process, believing that we could or we were meant to experience unconditional love... Crazy, right? It is but there is some wonderful literature on this subject so at least I know I wasn't the only one who ever went down that road. Needless to say, I was wrong and suffering and got to the point when a part of me wanted to forget him but I wasn't able to do that anymore.

One day a miracle happened but not the one I had been expecting all along. One day I was simply able to put everything behind me and I was completely healed of everything that relationship had meant to me. I was free, stronger and happier than ever, without needing to look back ever again and he even stopped being my ideal type of man.
    Last edited by Valixy; 31-08-13 at 06:41 AM.

wow quite powerful thank you for sharing

lalalita Guest
    Yes, I have. It got me very hurt.

I love my wife as close to unconditionally as possible... but there are still some conditions.

If she murdered one of my children through an act of malice, I'd probably not love her anymore... but mostly anything she could do as a reasonable human being wouldn't make me stop loving her. If she cheated on me, I'd not want to be with her any more, and I'd cut her loose with sorrow in my heart... but I'd still love her.

Love that is completely unconditional is a myth, or perhaps the purview of the almighty; something for us to strive for. The thing to remember is that love does not divide, it multiplies. There is always room in your heart for more love.

By family members yes

It is very possible to love somebody unconditionally. I love my wife that way. Although there are things that she could do to make me angry or hurt me it does not take away the love, it just makes me angry or hurt. There is nothing she could do to stop me from loving her, but loving her does not mean I could not dislike her. Honestly though, you came to the wrong place for an answer to that question. In my opinion there are a great many people here who do not really even understand "love". These people are only in love with the idea of being in love and run their lives setting rules and expectations of their partners because they have deep fears of being hurt. Sure, they may have loving feelings for their partners, but the thing is, until you let go of all your fears and insecurities you can never actually experience what it really feels like to love somebody with all of your heart and soul.

I have unconditional love for my best friends who are as good as family, and my family. I'll never turn my back on them in any situation and trust them with my life.

Notice that the people who do not believe in unconditional love are also the same people who trust conditionally.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    There should ALWAYS be conditions to your love. If love were unconditional then you would allow someone to treat you like absolute dirt and stay with them saying "I love him" like a twat. There are plenty of doormats out there but I'm glad I'm not one of them
    Wow, that is really messed up and gets to the root of a lot of what you post here. I truly feel sorry for you.

Yes I did. But fully open heart takes heavy damage.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I think this thread is about romantic love, not love in general. I do think it's possible to unconditionally love someone non-romantically: the love between parents and children is unconditional.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I think this thread is about romantic love, not love in general. I do think it's possible to unconditionally love someone non-romantically: the love between parents and children is unconditional.
    *snerk* No it's not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast