+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Help me with reading the signs please? Totally out of practice!

Help me with reading the signs please? Totally out of practice!

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if you can help.

I've met this great lady and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on recognising whether or not she's interested in me as more than just friends, although it is VERY early days!

A brief bit of background - we've known each other to say hello, how are you? To each other, for a few years now, as we work in the same building, and she sent me an email saying hi. We started chatting and have been swapping messages into the small hours for about a week now.

We've arranged to go out for dinner and I've thrown her a few genuine compliments as I think she's great!

Nearer to when we go out, once we arrange it, do you think me replying saying "it's a date!" Would be subtle but ok?

Anything I can say when we're chatting to put a few feelers out there but gently?

Basically I want to show interest but not come on too strong, you know?

Any tips or advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Do you just work in the same building or do you sometimes have to work together? If it's the second one, it might be a good idea to keep things on the friendship level for as long as you possibly can. If you date and it doesn't work out, it can make the work situation really complicated.

I think if your going out of the way to compliment and ask her out to dinner, she's probably picked up on the fact that you like her. It's a little more than just a friend situation. But you also haven't necessarily confirmed that it would be a date. I think if you want to make sure she'd be okay with that, you should just ask her, "Do you mind if I make this a proper date and pay for your meal?" I don't see any point to being subtle and beating around the bush if you want to be dating her.
    “This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.” ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalMoon View Post
    Do you just work in the same building or do you sometimes have to work together? If it's the second one, it might be a good idea to keep things on the friendship level for as long as you possibly can. If you date and it doesn't work out, it can make the work situation really complicated.

I think if your going out of the way to compliment and ask her out to dinner, she's probably picked up on the fact that you like her. It's a little more than just a friend situation. But you also haven't necessarily confirmed that it would be a date. I think if you want to make sure she'd be okay with that, you should just ask her, "Do you mind if I make this a proper date and pay for your meal?" I don't see any point to being subtle and beating around the bush if you want to be dating her.
    We work in the same building, and see each other most days.

That sounds good. Thanks!

How about any tips on conversation to get an idea as to if she's interested in me?

Thanks for the reply!

Keep it light and simple, don't talk about any thing too personal, ask her questions about interests, family that sort of thing. Never talk about past relationships period. This is a first date, pushing for "I"m interested in a relationship" is way way too soon. For one thing you both hardly know each other, and this is the time to do it. You ask her out on a second date says "I'm interested in you" If she says yes to a second date that say "I'm interested too". So you don't need to give her any trick conversations to fish for information, that's just silly. Just be yourself and enjoy the date....you don't want to over thing everything...that just ruins it.

Agree witj what smackie says... Keep it simple. This sounds a nice story, and simple too. Just be patient, pleasant and things will work out. She's giving you her attention already - just learn to take that as a sign, just dont go overboard yet with compliments, pushing etc. Good luck! Be yourself and this'll work out.