+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do you tell someone you're developing feelings with using the 'L' word?

How do you tell someone you're developing feelings with using the 'L' word?

I broke up with my ex the beginning of this year. We were in love, or so I thought, and living together. I thought I'd found someone I could be with for a very long time, but I eventually realized that his actions weren't living up to his words. I was just getting over it and was fine with being alone when a new person appeared in my life who I started seeing very casually. We'd get a beer once in a while, or watch a movie together. There was no physical contact for a while, but we've started getting intimate and I just know that I'm emotionally attached.

I think that I'm beginning to develop deeper feelings for him, and I don't know how to talk about it. I feel like I clam up around him because I'm not saying what I feel, and I'm afraid that he's going to think there's something wrong with the relationship. FYI -- he's been the most open, honest communicator about everything we've been through so far. I just remember being lied to about love in the past, and am a little tender about it. I'm beginning to wonder if I fall for people too easily.

Is it ok to be hesitant? How do I start a discussion without creating an expectation for him feel the same?

I don't want to ruin this really great thing I have going, but I need to be honest about my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by jnickjohns View Post
    I broke up with my ex the beginning of this year. We were in love, or so I thought, and living together. I thought I'd found someone I could be with for a very long time, but I eventually realized that his actions weren't living up to his words. I was just getting over it and was fine with being alone when a new person appeared in my life who I started seeing very casually. We'd get a beer once in a while, or watch a movie together. There was no physical contact for a while, but we've started getting intimate and I just know that I'm emotionally attached.

I think that I'm beginning to develop deeper feelings for him, and I don't know how to talk about it. I feel like I clam up around him because I'm not saying what I feel, and I'm afraid that he's going to think there's something wrong with the relationship. FYI -- he's been the most open, honest communicator about everything we've been through so far. I just remember being lied to about love in the past, and am a little tender about it. I'm beginning to wonder if I fall for people too easily.

Is it ok to be hesitant? How do I start a discussion without creating an expectation for him feel the same?

I don't want to ruin this really great thing I have going, but I need to be honest about my feelings.
    Maybe talk to him about what he expects out of a relationship, what is he looking for.

Tell him if he doesn't mind, you opening up about how you feel, how long he usually
    take before he knows a certain individual is right for him, just generalize,
    and than slowly let your feelings be known.

Also, if there's any chance of you two working out, if you slowly progress.

Maybe flirt with him a little, and see how he responds, guys that are interested, will flirt back,
    and if it's something he really enjoys, he'll go even further than normal.

Thanks for replying, Kromat. We've gone a little further into the relationship at this point, so I know that he likes me. I just have deeper feelings than we started with. You're right though, it might be good to discuss where our relationship is going, and then go from there. :] Thanks.