+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting Schedules

Conflicting Schedules

So, my love has been at his new job, and things are going great with that.
    And I've been back at school for about the same amount of time, and that's going good too.
    Now, our schedules are a bit conflicting. At this point in time, he's got one day off a week (Thursday), and he's on call two days a week (meaning he's not scheduled to go in, but if they need him, they'll call him and he'll come in then; Monday and Wednesday).
    I have a late night class both Tuesday and Thursday nights, though I do get out early on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
    He's usually in from noon til close (about 9pm, sometimes later, depends on how busy the place gets), which means by the time he gets home, I'm already ready to just go to sleep and call it a day.
    I have let it be known that I want to hang out at least once a week, and so far, this past week has been the only week where we weren't able to cuz of both being busy and not enough gas money on his side (after bills and getting basic stuff like food).

What I'm basically asking now is, if you're in a relationship where both sides have conflicting schedules that will more likely than not change after a few months at least, how do you go about scheduling time to hang out?

You can go to her workplace if it's possible and she can come to see you at your school.
    it's not ideal, but it's an IDEA
    Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience

Quote Originally Posted by Coddy555 View Post
    You can go to her workplace if it's possible and she can come to see you at your school.
    it's not ideal, but it's an IDEA
    I've thought about going over to his workplace on the weekends. Not every weekend, but some. Just depends on amount of homework here.
    Other than that, hmm...

Sounds like you both have busy lives. Unfortunately, things like work and school should come first, even if you're in a relationship with someone. If you or he can find a way to get a mutual day off (speaking to your boss, etc) then that would be ideal. Otherwise you just need to appreciate the time you have together. If it isn't enough, eventually that stress will show and the relationship will end. So it is a matter of communication and compromise with each other.

You said he couldn't visit you because of gas money, why couldn't you visit him?
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

lalalita Guest
    There's a difference between NOT spending time with together and NOT BEING ABLE to spend time together. I'm much more forgiving of the latter. The guy I'm involved with works 10 hour work days and coaches on weekends. I'm usually asleep before he's even out of work. I usually see him once or twice a week since I'm not interested in moving in with him or staying at his place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post

You said he couldn't visit you because of gas money, why couldn't you visit him?
    Still working on getting my license/job/car at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRoseMusical View Post
    Still working on getting my license/job/car at this point in time.
    Public transit not an option?
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post
    Public transit not an option?
    It sucks to be a somewhat broke college/university student, sadly. So, not at this point in time.

Update:
    Looks like we're not hanging out this coming week since he's going in every day. Keeping in touch looks like it'll be difficult, since not only will he be busy every day, but he has called me out a couple times over this past week on overtexting.
    I got asked to dinner at a friend's house tonight, but I can't make it since I have an early morning bio lab tomorrow morning, and I know that almost everytime he goes over there with or without me, he'll stay the night, which means I would be staying overnight too, and he wouldn't be able to wake up early enough to get me to class on time.
    What can be done?

He works the entire weekend too?

What I'm basically asking now is, if you're in a relationship where both sides have conflicting schedules that will more likely than not change after a few months at least, how do you go about scheduling time to hang out?
    Eliminate Scheduling conflicts with ShiftPlanning's employee scheduling software.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.shiftplanning.com/conflicts/

It sucks to be a somewhat broke college/university student, sadly. So, not at this point in time.
    Get a secondhand bicycle. Problem solved. Oh wait, you're american - you yanks don't go anywhere unless it's petrol powered.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    unless it's petrol powered.
    It's gasoline or gas for short.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 ratties View Post
    He works the entire weekend too?
    Yep. It's usually a weekday he'll have off or be on call.

It's getting to the point where we keep missing each other on communication... when he gets off tonight, I'm thinking about asking for a chat.
    Now, do I just try to back off a bit and let him have some space for a while (how long would it be?), or try to work things out one more time?

Quote Originally Posted by Agnus View Post
    It's gasoline or gas for short.
    Thank you for the lesson on linguistic niceties. Could you also help me out with other words? Patronising for example, does it use an 's' or a 'z' in the American version?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast