+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Feeling Blue.......need a clue haha but seriously I need some advice.

Feeling Blue.......need a clue haha but seriously I need some advice.

First off I just wanted to say thank you for any advice given.

I have been with my current gf for 2 years so far. A few months ago my girl friend spent two weeks at my house in which she meet my parents. It turned out great they really loved her as she is an amazing person. However when ever we talk about me meeting her parents or her brother or any of her family members, she seems a bit distant about it. She always tells me that she would rather have me meet her parents when she is no longer living with them. It makes me feel sort of hidden, like she wants it to be a secret from her family. I've meet her friends, we get along really well, actually one of her friends is a good friend of mine now. It really bothers me because I have a friend who is also in this same situation but he has been in it for over 6 years. He has meet her brother, aunt and friends, but her parents do not know he exists. I can tell it hurts him because of what he has to go through just to hide their relationship. I don't feel its fair. I love her. but I do not want our relationship to stay hidden for years on end. It would make me feel like we have not progressed at all. if it help she is Vietnamese and I am African American / Korean. I know its difficult having your parents accept another ethnicity out side of your race to date your daughter, as my father had a hard time getting my mothers parents to accept him, but is it really that bad to want to keep the relationship hidden? Has anyone else been in this or is currently in my situation?

Tell her to move out and stop sucking mommy and daddy's teat.

I don't know your situation, but I can tell you that I NEVER wanted any of my bf's to meet my parents because my parents were judgmental biggots who made me ashamed of my own upbringing. I knew it would never go well and it would make the guy feel like crap. She might not be hiding you, but shielding you. Why not just ask her.

How about asking her why? I agree with the above poster, maybe she's just protecting you. If you really want to meet her family, maybe tell her that your ready and if she'll give it a try. It's been two years

Yeah im going to speak to her today about moving forward. We never know how it will turn out until we try. I believe I asked her before and she told me that she was afraid of what her parents might say, they might not be so thrilled that she has a bf, but, its been 2 years.

i don't think it is she is hiding you because she doesn't love you or feel the same or is embarrassed to introduce you, it is clear it is her parents that are her concern not you. why don't you ask your common friend? they should know. she might worry her parents will kick her out and that scares her. have you ever met other family members just not the parents? they all can't have the same issues, or maybe she is scared they will tell her parents. you should discuss it fully with her so you are fine with not meeting them. all should matter to her parents is that you a nice person and treat their daughter well and respect her and love her.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake