+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How Long Should I Wait?

cr8 is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag

How Long Should I Wait?

I am 25 and I am now aware that my biological clock is ticking. I have been in a serious, monogamous relationship for 5 years. We are NOT married, but we live together. We have no children now or from previous relationships. I feel stuck. I am ready to start my life and my 30 year old boyfriend shows no urge to rush things. I don't want to be chasing kids when I am 40! We are financially stable and everything else is in place, I just have no idea what the hold up is? Whenever I talk about getting married he kind of blows the whole things off. This is really important to me, how do I even approach this subject!!? I need lots of guidance!

Quote Originally Posted by cr8 View Post
    Whenever I talk about getting married he kind of blows the whole things off. This is really important to me, how do I even approach this subject!!? I need lots of guidance!
    Where to begin? You've been with this guy for five years and yet you're unable as a couple to have a serious conversation about a serious subject? That tells me you have some serious communication issues to deal with. He blows the thing off and you just accept this? Why? If it's important to you then you need to let him know loud and clear that it's one of those issues that can make or break your relationship with him. Ultimately if he's not going to give you what YOU want then are you going to dump him over this or suck it up and carry on with the way things are. Just because you've been together for 5 years does not mean that your future is with this guy.

cr8 is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    I totally agree with you on this! I want him to show some initiative in this relationship and I think it is where we fall short....

And so what are you going to do then?

Come home from work and tell him you've booked a hall for the wedding in June of 2014. That should get a convo going.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Hon, he doesn't want to marry you. If he did, he'd be open to the conversation.

Now - about the kids: Does he want kids? Or does he avoid that topic too?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

WTF....25 year old and you are worried your biological clock is ticking?!!
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

Quote Originally Posted by cr8 View Post
    I am 25 and I am now aware that my biological clock is ticking. I have been in a serious, monogamous relationship for 5 years. We are NOT married, but we live together. We have no children now or from previous relationships. I feel stuck. I am ready to start my life and my 30 year old boyfriend shows no urge to rush things. I don't want to be chasing kids when I am 40! We are financially stable and everything else is in place, I just have no idea what the hold up is? Whenever I talk about getting married he kind of blows the whole things off. This is really important to me, how do I even approach this subject!!? I need lots of guidance!
    Once your 34, then you can be worried about not having children.
    Right now, it's about marriage, and give him settle hints that you want it to happen and If he is still not determined to make you happy by doing so, then he's either a coward towards commitment or he's just too comfortable with how things are right now and you accept it.
    It'll be up to you to decide what is best, and if this is really the person you want to spend decades with.