+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Autism

Yeah, you narcissistic wannabe slut. Frigid bitch.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

The name calling just points up your insecurity.

All right, I admit that. And I am ALWAYS ****ing angry.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

Which means you're always *fearful*

You really need that therapy.

I don't think life will be worth living if it is indeed autism: it's probably too late to get any real help for it. As a kid, I read there's some good help out there but there's nothing for those diagnosed as adults..

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCosmo View Post
    I don't think life will be worth living if it is indeed autism: it's probably too late to get any real help for it. As a kid, I read there's some good help out there but there's nothing for those diagnosed as adults..
    I'll return when you've ended the pity party.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

1. Don't do any self diagnosis, most people can look at checklists for various conditions and check lots off and not have that issue.
    2. Grats on the new job and what type of car are you looking for? used toyotas are good bets.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Both can diagnose equally well.
    False. Psychologist is a PhD, trained in administering and interpreting personality and intelligence testing. Psychiatrist is an MD, trained in bodily functions and medications. While both can give diagnoses using the 5 Axes with DSM and ICD codes, their specialization is quite distinct. Many people confuse the two. It is not uncommon.

We should respect people having this kind of problem

Quote Originally Posted by dem862 View Post
    False. Psychologist is a PhD, trained in administering and interpreting personality and intelligence testing. Psychiatrist is an MD, trained in bodily functions and medications. While both can give diagnoses using the 5 Axes with DSM and ICD codes, their specialization is quite distinct. Many people confuse the two. It is not uncommon.
    So it is true that they both can diagnose autism equally well. :|

Diagnose... yeah. Treat? No.

I'd go to a Psychologist first. A psychiatrist would simply want to prescribe medication for whatever condition it is, and a psychologist would actively try to get at the root of the problem and correct it.

There ARE problems that can be solved with medication, and should be treated by a psychiatrist - bipolar disorder and schizophrenia spring to mind... but I seriously think that most behavioral issues should be treated by a psychologist. I think that a psychiatrist that just prescribes medication to mask the symptoms is violating the Hippocratic oath.

I agree, but right now the most important thing is to get an actual diagnosis. If YC has access to a psychiatrist in the immediate future rather than a psychologist, then so be it. He can seek treatment (should he choose to) later, once he has been diagnosed by whomever is qualified to do so.

He's better off to start with the right doctor. The initial evaluation can be a long and expensive process. You wouldn't go to a podiatrist to diagnose your heart condition, even though as an MD he could do it.

I don't think the parallel is close... both psychiatrists and psychologist specialize in mental illnesses and psychological issues: one more than the other maybe, but it's not as "absurd" as going to a podiatrist to get your heart checked.

But yeah, I agree that if he intends to get therapy later on, he might as well go straight to a psychologist instead of passing through the psychiatrist first.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    There ARE problems that can be solved with medication, and should be treated by a psychiatrist - bipolar disorder and schizophrenia spring to mind... but I seriously think that most behavioral issues should be treated by a psychologist. I think that a psychiatrist that just prescribes medication to mask the symptoms is violating the Hippocratic oath.
    I know a number of kids/adults on the spectrum who need meds from a psychiatrist. My own son takes anti-psychotics and ADHD meds because they make a huge difference with the explosive behavioural issues related to autism. You may talk about violating Hippocratic oaths, but I'm talking about being able to live comfortably with and alongside autism.

For what it's worth, I don't think that a person who has autism should have to live with some of the awful behavioural issues any more than a person who has bi-polar. Hence my thinking that seeing a psychiatrist can be a very appropriate decision for some on the spectrum. Besides, a psychologist can't get to the root of the problem and correct autism. Sure, they can give some coping mechanisms...but for many sufferers, it's simply not sufficient.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast