+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Autism

There are no meds for autism. Most psychiarists spend 15 minutes with the patient andwrite a refill. A psychologist specializes in diagnosing and teachi:ng coping skills. ADHD and psychosis are co-morbid disorders treatable with meds. Not everyone on the spectrum has them. A psychologist will spend 3 hours on an evaluation. An MD psychiatrist can see 12 patients in that time and bill accordingly. He will usually have an LCSW make the diagnosis anyway or worse an MS clinician under his employ. While he may sign the evaluation, it just isnt cost effective for him to actually perform it.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Cosmo - it may be true that you're a high-functioning autistic, but don't rely on that until you've had a real diagnosis. Once you've had a real diagnosis, don't use it as an excuse. It's not a mental illness or even necessarily a handicap - many autistic people, particularly high functioning ones are savants in one way or another. Yes, you'll have some difficulty in interpersonal relationships, but treat it realistically.

Good luck to you.
    HIA posted almost exactly what I would have. Especially the last part. It takes a special partner to live with a HFA, I did it for 2 decades, but it's possible.

My only additional advice for someone with whom you are serious: be honest about your personality. HFA's can be both brilliant and difficult. You need to be honest about what you bring and don't to a relationship. Also, watch out for partners who want to 'fix' you. That will be harder on you than most, also them. You need someone who will truly understand and accept you.

Good luck, Kiddo.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 29-09-13 at 12:43 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Dem, actually there are meds for autism - but not the type which magically give one better social skills. The meds I refer to control significant behavioural issues which are part of the spectrum. Risperidone has made a huge difference for us.

I've never heard of psychosis being co-morbid with autism. A whole host of other conditions, sure....but not psychosis.
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 29-09-13 at 06:44 AM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

"asshole" isn't spelled "autistic"

Quote Originally Posted by somethinglol View Post
    "asshole" isn't spelled "autistic"
    Sadly though, I've known some teachers who think "autistic" is spelled "asshole"

At any rate, I guess this is why formal diagnosis is important.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    watch out for partners who want to 'fix' you. That will be harder on you than most, also them.
    That would actually be ****ing amazing. Best thing in life a broken guy could ask for!
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

Maybe you'd think so for a little while. You'd change your mind, though.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Maybe you'd think so for a little while. You'd change your mind, though.
    HIA, you know what I'm saying. There are couples who challenge each other and those who support each other. Guess which ones make it the distance?

Of course, you can have both and its about intent. My ex challenged me all the time, but it wasn't out of love. That's the difference.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Exactly right.

People ask us why we get along so well, and I say "Because neither one of us wants to be in charge. Because she's my best friend."

Think about that YC - think about the way you and your best friend treat each other, as far as control goes. You might rib each other, you might advise the other, but you don't try to tell the other what to do. That's the way a long-term romantic relationship ought to be.

Life would be worth living if I had JUST a girl like that. All I'm asking for. Instead, I am planning my suicide. It's just not a life worth living. It was nice knowing you all.
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

Ok, cool. See you later, you pussy.

If you still lived in So.Cal, you would be able to wake up one morning and see my suicidal plot in the 'paper. At least I'll die famous (that is, if it goes perfectly).

I never lived in So. Cal - lived in the Bay Area.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Another problem is that those who have ASD don't *look* disabled. If you've got a kid who's got Down Syndrome distressed in a mall....and a kid who's ASD having the same behaviour, the kid with Down Syndrome will get far more sympathy and understanding because people can see there's a problem. Hence some Tshirts I've seen with the words "I'm not naughty - I have autism"
    ^ I can actually relate to this now. The man I'm dating had a nephew who had been diagnosed in (I think it was) the first year or two of his childhood. Looking at his photos, you never would have guessed that he was, but the condition went along with a number of health related problems. Dave told me that he survived three surgeries in the first three years of his life, and during the last one, he sadly passed away... :S

I think those who have the idea that there is "no such thing as mental disability" are very often confusing them with the children who were raised in an environment that wasn't strict enough. Please do not misunderstand, basil- in no way am I agreeing with that. However, at the same time, it would probably help them a little more by learning more about the nature of it all. It's a shame to say, but it seems like society anymore is very quick to jump to conclusions, especially bad ones, without really knowing the full story. It really sucks. :S

And YC, definitely figure out if you are. But if you are, remember that you really don't need anyone in your life who is going to bring you down about it by saying it isn't real. I would try to, if you are that is, develop some kind of civil relationship with your family. Don't fight it out- that never works. Simply sit them down and explain your side of things- how you feel...and if they can't listen to that, maybe it's best to get a little bit of distance before trying again. But, if I were you, I would still try until I'm too emotionally exhausted to continue... Friends may come and go, but family shouldn't if possible.

I wish you good luck, and if you need to talk, I'm here for you.

Rowen, I completely agree with the debate between how one is raised vs there being some type of disability. Having worked in a grade school for some time, it was a conversation we had frequently: Is this kid a product of his environment ....or is there a diagnosis waiting to happen?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast