+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Autism

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCosmo View Post
    If you still lived in So.Cal, you would be able to wake up one morning and see my suicidal plot in the 'paper. At least I'll die famous (that is, if it goes perfectly).
    Usually threats of suicide indicate cries for help and not real intent, but just in case, call the suicide and crisis line in your area, or go in for an emergency evaluation. And remember alcohol is a depressant and will only make things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Rowen, I completely agree with the debate between how one is raised vs there being some type of disability. Having worked in a grade school for some time, it was a conversation we had frequently: Is this kid a product of his environment ....or is there a diagnosis waiting to happen?
    Yeah, and the fact is that you don't want to recommend a student for testing/diagnosis right away because you're not sure either way and don't want to start anything with the parents. The teachers, in this case like you said, are really the ones to suffer because they're caught in the middle of trying to figure out whether or not they should recommend the diagnosis. Hopefully it changes, though. :S

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Life would be worth living if I had JUST a girl like that. All I'm asking for. Instead, I am planning my suicide. It's just not a life worth living. It was nice knowing you all.
    Yea, this attitude will totally win you over the kind of woman I describe. Not.

It took my partner and I decades to find each other. Do other things until then. Really, if not finding a GF makes you so hopeless then you need to get out more. Love is amazing and wonderful, but it is not all there is to life. Not even close.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by dem862 View Post
    Usually threats of suicide indicate cries for help and not real intent, but just in case, call the suicide and crisis line in your area, or go in for an emergency evaluation. And remember alcohol is a depressant and will only make things worse.
    Usually yes. But in those cases, suicide might not be such a necessity as it might be in my case..
    "1,2,3,4.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power-drive!"

"Glory days/Well, they'll pass you by/Glory days"

Did you get diagnosed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Yeah, and the fact is that you don't want to recommend a student for testing/diagnosis right away because you're not sure either way and don't want to start anything with the parents. The teachers, in this case like you said, are really the ones to suffer because they're caught in the middle of trying to figure out whether or not they should recommend the diagnosis. Hopefully it changes, though. :S
    As far as I'm aware, we can't recommend the student be tested for ASD. Last I knew, our teachers weren't even allowed to suggest that a child may be on the spectrum - because they aren't trained in diagnosis. Instead, I think it's more about encouraging the family to work with a psychologist or counsellor who can get to the root of the problem.

Before my son was diagnosed, a casual preschool teacher mentioned his autism. I replied "you said 'autism' - why do you think that?". I swear you've never seen a teacher backpedal so hard!
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Before my son was diagnosed, a casual preschool teacher mentioned his autism. I replied "you said 'autism' - why do you think that?". I swear you've never seen a teacher backpedal so hard!
    Wow, that must have been one awkward moment for both of you! haha And that might have changed here then. All I can remember is that my brother was recommended for testing and tutoring by his one elementary school teacher when he was diagnosed with dyslexia. But that was, perhaps, the early 2000's. But I can see why it would change; most parents wouldn't really be comfortable with someone who is only licensed to teach diagnosing their child. It would be like having a mechanic build your house- they don't have all the knowledge.

Usually yes. But in those cases, suicide might not be such a necessity as it might be in my case..
    Huh... this was LR's last post. Perhaps he actually carried through. If so... he was definitely the sissy I thought he was.

I expect he's just regrouping and will be back soon. He's done suicide threats and taken breaks before
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Sissy's original meaning is "sister", i.e. female... it shouldn't be used as a synonym for "coward". :-)

Anyway I also wonder what happened to him... I hope he didn't carry through with it, for the sake of his family and friends.

A good point. I'll use "pansy" instead.

Don't worry, he'll be back again.....and "crying wolf" again too

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    A good point. I'll use "pansy" instead.
    But now you're making a gay slur

Is it a gay slur? I didn't know that... homophobic slur against males usually has roots in sexism against women, too. It's the (supposed) femininity of gay men that makes them so unbearable to homophobics.

Yep. Pansy = gay, it's basically a less extreme and somewhat old fashioned version of faggot, albeit with very different (and nowhere near as ****ed up) roots.

Definition: ausually disparaging : a weak or effeminate man or boy busually disparaging : a male homosexual

History: c.1450, from M.Fr. pensée "a pansy," lit. "thought, remembrance," from fem. pp. of penser "to think," from L. pensare "consider," freq. of pendere "to weigh" (see pensive). So called because it was regarded as a symbol of thought or remembrance. Meaning "effeminate homosexual man" is first recorded 1929.

Middle English pancy, pensee, from Middle French pensée, from pensée thought, from feminine of pensé, past participle of penser to think, from Latin pensare to ponder
    Date: 15th century

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast