+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Going to a party that my ex will be at

Going to a party that my ex will be at

So as the title says, I'm gonna be going to a party this coming weekend that my ex will most likely be at with one of her friends. I'm 23, she's 24.

All of these friends are mutual and I really don't want to pass up the party, but the only thing is I have a feeling my ex might hook up with someone there or something. We just recently broke up, I still have kind of strong feelings for her and it would probably break my heart.

The thing is, I feel kind of selfish thinking this way, that's why I'm here.

How can I get over this stupid obsession with my ex? I want to learn to stay stoic about the whole thing if it did happen and not give too much of a shit about it because I can't prevent it. But I also don't want to look like some pathetic cuckold around my friends or something. I doubt my friends would really make a move, but they can be horn-balls. How do you all suggest I go about this?

In the end, I just want to have fun at this party without being paranoid about my ex the whole time and feeling humiliated if she hooked up with someone at the party. I'm sure there's been someone else in a similar situation that can give advice?

Like any party some people end up hanging out in different parts of the house, or pub, or club, or wherever. So drift elsewhere, away from her presence.

Anyways I think you are over reacting. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to hook up with someone in front of my ex.....If anything I would be discreet about it.

If you think there's a real chance of her hooking up at the party, avoid it. You say you two recently broke up and your feelings are strong, give yourself some time to heal before you start hanging out around her.

I would agree that it would be best to tread lightly. If you can avoid the party, then just don't go. You need time to heal from the break-up before you can see her again, even indirectly. But, if you really insist on not missing it, then as others have said, just do your best to hang out where she isn't. I mean, don't make an obvious scene in doing it, but just don't go near her.

If your break-up was recent, then hopefully she would have the decency not to be hooking up at all, much less at a party she knows you may be attending as well. But, if you think that is a distinct possibility, that it is probably best just to avoid going. Either way, good luck. I hope you decide what is best for you, and are happy with whichever decision you make. And, I know this sounds cliche and is hard to believe at a time like now, but if she wasn't the one for you all that means is that your true "the one" is still out there waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman View Post
    have a feeling my ex might hook up with someone there
    Ask her to sleep with you If she agrees, your heart won't be broken. If she refuses, she's a bitch and nothing can be done about it.

The way I look at it is its a free country, no one is forcing you to go to this party so you don't have to go and if someone makes you feel obligated then they should probably understand the situation. Now, if it were a wedding I would say let things go, or even a birthday party of a close friend. But you make it sound like it is just a regular party, and if that's the case there will be more of those in your lifetime. Why go just to please someone else?

Exes can be conniving, maybe your ex will be resentful and hit on one of your friends. You seem nervous about your friends as it is and all I can say is that no true friend would make a pass at your girl just after she recently broke up with you. Why go through this potential pain. Go see a movie with someone and get back into the game yourself. The best medicine to get over someone else is to dust yourself off and meet new people.