+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Relationship ended due to work prospects - why do I still want her?

Relationship ended due to work prospects - why do I still want her?

Me and my girlfriend have decided to break up after a 3 year-long relationship. We met at university (she is French, I'm English and we met during her year abroad in England),and maintained a steady relationship up until recently. I luckily managed to study in her town for a year when she was back in france, and when we were away from each other, we would still skype often.

The break-up issues began to arise this year when we were both due to graduate from university. She had secured a teaching job in her town, meaning she could not come to England for at least a year or two. I on the other hand, failed to get an internship within a French bank and have kinda been left high and dry since I've graduated (in july). So I've been forced to return to my parents and look for work there, which I had never envisaged myself doing beforehand.
    So, the problem is not that we don't love each other anymore, it's rather a question of our relationship no longer being feasible. We both said to each other that a long-distance relationship was out of the question, we're tired of being apart for months on end plus with full-time jobs it's even harder to find the free time to see each other.

My reasons for not staying with her are down to the fact that I would have more opportunities over here in England than I do in france. I'd more or less only be able to do English teaching over in france, and life could be a bit more precarious if I don't receive a steady wage. However, I'm still unemployed over here in England, and I'm struggling to see myself geting the decently-paid job that I had imagined originally. Essentially, thinking about the long-term, I thought being here in England would maximise my chances for success and overall pay off. But, the longer I stay unemployed, the more I say to myself 'Well if I have to get a low-paid job that I don't enjoy, I may as well get one in france so i can be with her'. Because at least then I might be happy, at the moment I feel like I have nothing to show for splitting up with her. Plus the break-up wasn't messy, and relationship-wise I could see myself with her years down the line.

So what should I do guys? Should I just stick to my guns and just try and move on? Or is it worth me giving it a go in france, and trying to find a job in her town so I can be with her?

I am English and live in France. You stand virtually no chance of getting a job in France. Depending on the location you might get some English teaching work but only if you speak good French. Would she be happy to support you at least in the short term?

It was a nice Uni fling. Move on, find a good job where you are and find a nice English lass. There are some of those there, right?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

she could support me for a while, and my french is pretty advanced so I reckon I could do english teaching over in Rennes. But yeah you're right, I don't see myself getting any other job without major experience otherwise. I guess it's just a combination of impatience/naivety on my part, i'm feeling desperate about finding something in london and it's hard to take your mind off something when you have little to distract yourself with. Watch this space