+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things I learned from my "mom"

Cry, bitch? Oh please.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Cry, bitch? Oh please.
    I would say you should run to mommy, but in your case that's not an option....ROFL.

Not apreciating your mother is almost like not apreciating source of your life. Its like you are mad at your mum because she gave you life. Its like you expected love and happines come by itself or at least from your mum. Now that you are adult and still picking up at her means something makes you unsatisifed with your life. You are blaming past that you cant change while present are all in your hands and up to you.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow. I suppose anyone who has been raised by awesome adoptive or foster parents must be feeling like shit right now. Apparently the mere act of spreading ones legs and giving birth 9 months later = automatic deserving of respect?

My son is the light of my life and I owe him everything I can give him. I try to earn *his* respect everyday and, perhaps not surprisingly, he earns mine in turn. Funny how that works... I view raising him well as an honour and privilege.

Children don't ask to be born. We owe *them* the best upbringing we can give them, not the other way around.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Children don't ask to be born. We owe *them* the best upbringing we can give them, not the other way around.
    YES. I remember saying something like this to my mom as a teenager when she told me I'd been an accident that had adversely affected her life. "I didn't ask to be born." So why are you treating me like shit because I was? You had the option to NOT keep me, but you made the decision to have a child so be a ****ing parent. Try your hardest to be a good one.

I'm struggling with issues with my mom too. Sometimes I really don't like her as a person and it feels horrible to say that about your own mother, but listening to years of how crappy her life was because I came around, and what a horrible person I was (you made me that way, lady!) made me bitter. It's not your duty to love and respect your parents unless they love and respect you. If they don't, screw them. They never should have been parents then.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I have a similar scenario at home.

I feel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Wow. I suppose anyone who has been raised by awesome adoptive or foster parents must be feeling like shit right now. Apparently the mere act of spreading ones legs and giving birth 9 months later = automatic deserving of respect?

My son is the light of my life and I owe him everything I can give him. I try to earn *his* respect everyday and, perhaps not surprisingly, he earns mine in turn. Funny how that works... I view raising him well as an honour and privilege.

Funny... was thinking about this post again today. My wife and I took some things to storage recently, and one of the things I uncovered was some old photo albums. She was looking through the one that had all of my old baby pics in it (yep that's right, Mom didn't keep 'em, gave 'em to me) and she pointed something out to me that I'd never noticed: In every single picture of me with my mother, she's neither smiling nor looking at me. Some people should never be parents.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Some people should never be parents.
    Maybe some kids should not be kids. I mean with that kind of parents you should grow up fast. And dont look back in past.

So... what? I should've chosen not to be as a child?

Oh wait... my sister tried that. Didn't work out too well for her.

Stop crying kid. Be a man.

Who's crying? Moron.

I had a bit of a hellish childhood, but I was adopted. I know I would have been more sucessful with my life if she didn't continualy pound my self esteem down at every turn with verbal and sometimes physical abuse......Thanks MOM!

BTW she finally got help, but I was 31 by that time.....better late than never I guess. It's still a struggle from time to time with the tension between us.

This is a good read:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2013/02/abusive_parents_what_do_grown_children_owe_the_mot hers_and_fathers_who_made.html

I get Dear Purdence in my email every week.....I get a lot of my info from her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast