+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Online dating - Better as an adult?

Online dating - Better as an adult?

I have always been extremely shy. So, when I was younger (in college, for example), I gave the online dating thing a try. I figured that would be one way to more easily get to know somebody and potentially date. Online, I wasn't shy at all and was able to be myself.

However, I always found them so frustrating. You could find people for whom you were supposedly a very close match. They could even basically be describing you in their details about what they are looking for in a partner. Yet... NOBODY would ever both to respond. I used to wonder what in the blue Hell people bothered to register for if they were just going to ignore anybody who tried to contact them. So, I came to the conclusion that online dating was basically worthless.

Now, with my new situation being about ready to finalize my divorce, something occured to me that never had before... It is entirely possible that a lot of younger people, even those who are on those sites in the first place, perhaps don't take online dating as seriously.

After all, when you are young, you can easily meet people at school, at work, etc. You also haven't had as much experience dating all the wrong people.

So, it occured to me that maybe people who are more so adult (late 20's, 30's, etc.) take it a little more seriously, and are actually looking for somebody to possibly date. ... Though, honestly I am sure it is just as worthless and frustrating. LOL!

Does anybody actually have any experience with using those types of sites in your adult age? Is it actually a little more helpful, or is it still filled with a bunch of annoying people who don't bother to respond to anybody, leaving you to wonder why they signed up in the first place?

I have no personal experience, but I have a friend who met his life partner via a dating site when they were both in their late 30s. He messaged her, she responded. And he went on numerous dates that way, so women obviously were checking the site. Just look at it as another way to meet people, don't pin all your hopes on it and get frustrated if nothing happens, keep it as one of the options. If someone responds, great, if not, oh well.

You will find only losers of both sexes on on-line dating sites. Personally I discovered that the best way to get women is volunteering. I was even invited to join the Go-Topless March in Toronto. But before that happened I made enquiries in Raelian Church. That was already after I made friends with Catholic nuns at the convent. So if you want to have a lot of women at once, chose a non-profit female organization and go to volunteer. You can leave it any time, if something goes wrong.

Last edited by Agnus; 01-10-13 at 05:34 AM.

I dont ever use any dating site but in my opinion it is useful to find the partners. Because my lots of friends use online dating and they said that they enjoyed a lot .

Don't listen to this nonsense Jester, online dating is fine and perfect for late twenties and up. Younger people don't take it as seriously, but it has picked up quite a bit for them as well with the inclusion of free sites, but if you are to be taken seriously, a pay site is where you want to be. There are also singles groups and meetups where you can meet similar minded people.

I've online dated before, and I would do so again in a heartbeat. There are amazing, beautiful, successful people online, and even though I didn't continue to date the ones I met, they were still awesome people.

There are specific ways to online date effectively, and it all starts with your profile, there are some tips to get your foot in the door and get responses. You also have to understand that even at your best, you'll be at 10 to 1 odds meeting women, but its not hard to stand out from the crowd and be successful in a relatively short amount of time.

Its definitely worth a go, along with whatever else you plan on doing to date.

I've met my last 3 girlfriends through online dating. OK, I had to kill the first two but number 3 might be a keeper - although I see that eBay still has reasonably low Buy it now prices for nubile women from Eastern Europe - very tempting I must admit.

Thank you all for your input. Glad to hear that some of you have found them to be more beneficial as an adult. I will definitely have to give them a try. I had kind of thought of that randomly. It had never hit me before. But, it sort of makes sense that younger people might not take it quite as seriously, since they tend to feel they have more options, not to mention haven't been as likely to have dated a lot of the wrong people already.

By the way, Boisdevie... hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. :-)