+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me "decode" please

Help me "decode" please

The guy friend I'm interested in has recently made a couple comments about his "future child" or "future children" and "future wife". Plus a few comments about what kind of father he'll be one day. It struck me as sort of odd because he's made these kinds of comments a few times in the last week or so. I'm confused with this guy, not sure if we're just friends or if he shares my interest in something more. So guys tell me, would you be more likely to make these comments to a girl you're interested in, or someone you think of as just a friend? Or would it really not matter? I don't think I've heard him say any of these things to or around anyone else. I know not everyone's the same, so a few opinions would be great. Thanks!

I don't know whether such comments mean that he's got the hots for you. Why not stop trying to analyse the shite out of it and just ask him out. Then you'll know one way or the other. It's a better way than trying mind reading.

Thanks for your reply, and I agree that would be the best way. However, we work together pretty closely, and I'm afraid it would make things awkward if he didn't share my feelings. Also I've heard him make comments about not dating people you work with, but if I thought for a second that we both had mutual interest I would definitely try to change his mind about that! So for the time being I'm just trying to feel it out a bit more.

Well you are just going to have to wait for him to make that change. It's not up to you to change it so make sure you keep your options open.

I totally agree dating someone you work with, especially very closely, can spell disater.....it's not worth it unless one of you gets another job.

So freakin' ask him out, and see what he says.

Thanks smackie, but that's really not the point. Right now I'm just trying to figure out if he's interested. If not it doesn't matter, but if so, then there's more complicated stuff to think about. But because of the work issues I'm not pushing things, at the moment I'm just trying to figure out where we both stand.

Thanks HeartIsAching, we must have been posting about the same time. But I'm interested in your opinion - would you make those kinds of comments to a close friend, or a potential girlfriend? Or do you not think that much about what you're saying to whom? Because I know the kinds of things I would say/confide to a close guy friend and a guy I was interested in would definitely be different, if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalthea1978 View Post
    would you make those kinds of comments to a close friend, or a potential girlfriend? Or do you not think that much about what you're saying to whom? Because I know the kinds of things I would say/confide to a close guy friend and a guy I was interested in would definitely be different, if that makes any sense.
    Who carees? You're not going to ask him out and frankly even the idea of dating someone you work with is just plain crazy. Let's hope he doesn't ask you out. Oh, and a nice bit of feminism there - she won't ask him out because if he's not interested it would be awkward. So it's OK for a guy to do it and then feel awkward is it?

Here's a hint, Amalthea - guys aren't "close friends" with a woman unless they want to get into her pants.

End of.

ok, not entirely true, but close enough for here.

I am "close friends" with a couple of women, with no interest in getting into their pants. Truth be told I'd **** both of 'em if I were single and they offered... but I'm not, I'm devoted to my wife and that's where it's gonna stay. So I'm friends with both of their beautiful asses.

Him talking future wife and kids with you means sweet fk all. Stop reading what you want to read into what he says. If you don't want to put your self on the line then don't expect him to either. One thing he has said that will give you a perfect clue as to where his head is at is this:
    I've heard him make comments about not dating people you work with
    That slams the door on getting with you so move on.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Hey Amalthea, you like this man right? He's dropping lines that make you go 'hhmm?' Well, you need to find a way to find out more yes? How long have you known him for? Has he flirted with you in a way that leaves no room for misinterpretation? If so , ask him for a tea/coffee/beer/glass of grape after work and see how it goes. Could be your a great friend and he's sharing some inside information about dreams he has, hopes, so on. OR, could be he likes you and he's dropping some lines and seeing what you do with them.
    So now....... it's your move. This is YOUR life, LIVE IT and for goodness sake, ask him out! Doesn't have to be a date per say; just a hang out between chums; see how it goes and rest in the notion that if he is the man for you, it will naturally simply happen; if he's not the man for you, you'll find out and rather than get hung up on him, you'll be at peace with the fact that your still open to meeting MR.Right (because he is somewhere out there). Just remember to guard your heart, hold it dearly and make sure their worth it.......

Thanks smackie, but that's really not the point. Right now I'm just trying to figure out if he's interested. If not it doesn't matter, but if so, then there's more complicated stuff to think about. But because of the work issues I'm not pushing things, at the moment I'm just trying to figure out where we both stand.
    Then this would require you asking him for yourself..You can say "So theoretically, if you worked with someone that you had a real interest in dating, would you bend the rules just that one time?"

If he answers no, then he's just playing around to amuse himself.

The guy friend I'm interested in has recently made a couple comments about his "future child" or "future children" and "future wife". Plus a few comments about what kind of father he'll be one day. It struck me as sort of odd because he's made these kinds of comments a few times in the last week or so. I'm confused with this guy, not sure if we're just friends or if he shares my interest in something more. So guys tell me, would you be more likely to make these comments to a girl you're interested in, or someone you think of as just a friend? Or would it really not matter? I don't think I've heard him say any of these things to or around anyone else. I know not everyone's the same, so a few opinions would be great. Thanks!
    He's programming his future regarding children. Now ask him to make a comment about where "the future children" are supposed to come from. Then you can figure out if he means you or someone else or if he's an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast