+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Mixed signals

Mixed signals

Hey all I need help deciphering the actions of one of my female friends. We first met about 8 months ago, and have been going out once a week as part of a small group of friends. I'll just say that I've had a pretty painful crush on her for most of those months; painful mostly because she's been going out with another guy from our friendship group for about 3-4 months; and also because I'm seeing someone else, who I like but don't feel anywhere near the same connection with as I do with this girl.

Pretty simple right? I should get over her. But she constantly sends me signals which I read as her liking me. We always get along great; she constantly talks to me, whether we're alone or with friends; she constantly initiates physical contact with me, e.g. linking arms, hugging, or just randomly poking. She always looks happy to see me. Also we were talking regularly on Facebook up until about a month ago.

I should also mention that I hinted (with incredible subtlety) about three months back that I liked her, right after (without me knowing) she started seeing this other guy. She basically said that she thought I was awesome and "interesting", but turned me down. But we've gotten much closer (and she's gotten more playful and semi-flirtatious) in real life since then.

So because of all of this, I've been wanting to sort of hedge my bets; I don't want to try to ignore her, because of how much I like her, but I don't want to make a move either - because I'm not sure about how she feels and I don't want to ruin our friendship or hurt the guy she's seeing.

Recently though she's started doing odd things, like taking forever to answer my FB messages (or not answering them at all), while still being very enthusiastic and/or affectionate (if not more so than before) when she does answer or when we actually see each other. Basically, I can't make any sense of what's going through her head. Does she know or suspect how I feel about her? Is she trying to gauge my feelings, especially relative to the other girl I'm seeing (who she brings up in conversation a lot with me)? Or is she just trying to discourage me romantically while staying friends?

Heeeelp And thanks in advance!
    Last edited by pacachomp; 10-10-13 at 02:14 AM.

She thinks you are awesome. She likes you as a person & she enjoys the validation you give her.

She does not want to date you & your crush is not reciprocated. Sorry.

If and when you are both single at the same time, you can point blank ask her out on a date . . . not some wishy-washy wanna hang out some time.