+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Too Fast, Too Furious

Too Fast, Too Furious

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 4 months now. Everythings has been great, but I feel we are moving too fast (actually, he has been moving too fast) We were friends for like 2 years before we started dating, and I KNOW he had a crush on me since we met. I don't know if because of that reason he's way ahead of me in the relationship. When we were at our 2 1/2 months-3 months in our relationship, he was talking already of living together (he made clear that within time aka next year) he told me he wants to marry me, etc.... all the good things a girl dreams of when she grows up. We've been saying to each other 'I love you' for the last 2 months, but now he is saying 'I LOVE you' (as in love with me). I'm not ready yet to say I LOVE you. The first time he said it, I said it too, because I didn't want to stay quiet (I know, my mistake), the second time he said it, I smiled, hugged and kissed him, and told him he was amazing.... Now, he recently said it again, and its making me feel under pressure, because I know he wants to hear it from me too (and yes, I said it again, because the pressure got me) but I'm just not ready for it. I don't know how to tell him in a nice way I'm not on that stage right now. I thought we would have gotten it when I didn't say it back the second time, and because when I said it, I waited a few seconds (that probably felt like minutes) and I said it awkwardly...
    advices please??

You need to be honest with him because right now he's acting this was because you're leading him to believe you feel the same way. Rejection of any sort is never nice but it has to be done. Just tell him you care about him but you feel like y'all are moving too fast and its making you uncomfortable. You don't want to rush into anything. You like being with him but just because y'all was friends for so long doesn't mean anything. A relationship is totally different. Just be honest with him and if he can't handle it then maybe you need to go back to being friends. That still won't be the same now since you've gotten personal though.

I know I need to talk to him, and that honesty is one of the keys for a good relationship. I just need a hint or example on how to approach the situation. What to do and how to talk about. It's not easy to tell someone that you're not in love with them yet, when you already gave them a lead making them believe you feel the same way, like you said.

That fact that you write You're not in love with him YET is a positive thing. You think you could fall for him eventually. Tell him that. Be positive. Say how much you like him. Say hw much you want to keep dating him etc. Just ask him to slow down & back off the marriage & living together stuff.