+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should we get back together?

Should we get back together?

Hi! So this might be long, and I apologize in advance. But I really need help and advice on this situation so please reply!

Okay so me and my ex boyfriend have been friends for around two to three years. We were talking last summer and started dating officially November. We've gone through a lot together but it only makes us stronger, and we've always had a really good relationship. We talk everyday and have always been really close. Now, a little over three weeks ago we broke up. I honestly took us for granted and barely made an effort to hangout or spend time with him and we were arguing a lot. Also, one of my friends, well at least I thought she was, started liking him. He's reassured me that he doesn't like her though and there's nothing to worry about. Anyways, so we couldn't decide whether to stay together or not. But we talked and he said he didn't feel the same way about me and so he broke up with me. Now the next day he texted me and asked if it could just be a break, that breaking up made him realize he still wanted us to try and make it work. So we were talking every day again. In the beginning two weeks we didn't hangout and I was playing kind of hard to get and trying to keep my distance. However, I slowly have been seeing myself get more attached and emotional about us again. And I can tell that the more I cling on to us, the more he pushes away. And we seem to have been butting heads alot lately. Also keep this in mind: lately during soccer season (he's on varsity) he has been kind of cocky and Im really good friends with his best friend and we both agree he's just trying to fit in and act cool around his friends. He did this last year before we started dating, as well. So he's kind of different now and that sucks. A few days ago we decided on giving each other more distance so we can truly be broken up before we start talking again.

Now, I need help. I just don't know exactly how to feel about the situation. I know he still likes me but he told me all the drama going on between us makes it hard for him to like me. I don't really want to bring up our situation again for a while because I do it way too much and that just makes me seem like I'm worrying all the time about it. I definitely think with time we can be good again. But I just want im to remember and realize the reasons why he loved me and so he can go back to the true him and we can be happy together.

What should I do?

Based on your mention of him being on the varsity team, I am assuming you are still in high school. If that is incorrect let me know.

When you are, it's hard to always make the right decision in a relationship. You have a lot going on: school, family, activities, trying to get into college, tryign to figure out who you are. It's a lot of pressure.

If you think that you have identified the reasons you & your BF broke up and that together you have fixed those problems so they don't reoccur, getting back together may be an option. If you are just going round & round on the same merry gound with no resolution, why bother? In life you have to keep moving forward. If you aren't going forward you are either standing still or going backwards neither of which is all that healthy. As you have already figured out the drama makes both of you unattractive.

High school relationships rarely last forever. If your has run it's course, so be it. Ending it before you hate each other & can barely stand to be in teh same hallway is a positive thing.

You guys fight all the time so it doesn't sound like u guys are compatible so quit wasting your time. A "break" means " I do want to break up because I'm not in love with you anymore, but I'm not strong enough to just let go completly because I'm not happy being all alone cuz I'm not secure with myself, but hopefully I will meet someone better or be okay on my own and if not, I will go back to dating you."
    Just break up.